Honored Contributor

Re: If / When There Is A Vaccine, Will You Get It?

Yep - I get all the recommended ones that are applicable (& affordable) to me.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

No worries, guys. I heard from one who is an expert on everything that we should use  the existing flu shot.

@suzyQ3   ???  A question was asked if it could be used, not that the current flu vaccine should be used. 

Inaccurate reporting and conspiracy theories are not helping with the panic some people are feeling.

It is up to all of us to use precautions as best as we can; while not in a panic I am concerned about my family.   I don't take this outbreak lightly but I also don't like to see some things not quite accurate to benefit others.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

No worries, guys. I heard from one who is an expert on everything that we should use  the existing flu shot.

@suzyQ3 

Also, and I quote, "The tests are all perfect, like the letter was perfect.  The transcription was perfect.  Right?  This was not as perfect as that but pretty good."  Also stated that anyone who wanted a test could get one right now.

How much more perfect could it get?

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I wish they could get one immediately and start testing it.  If they had one I would want to wait a bit to see how others reacted to it, but yes, of course, I would want to have the vaccine.! 

I was watching a show the other day and it was a researcher in Texas who had the vaccine for this very coronavirus that is spreading and all he needed was 3 million dollars to fund the production (or something to that effect) but yet no one was interested in it at the time (2016)

He was saying what a shame it is that now BILLIONS of dollars will be spent, thousands will die, when if they'd have just spent the 3 million we'd of been protected.

It's actually quite maddening when you really think about it. To know that there was a chance for NONE of this to happen, but yet our government thought it wasn't important enough? Can you say population control? JMO of course.

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I wish they could get one immediately and start testing it.  If they had one I would want to wait a bit to see how others reacted to it, but yes, of course, I would want to have the vaccine.! 

I was watching a show the other day and it was a researcher in Texas who had the vaccine for this very coronavirus that is spreading and all he needed was 3 million dollars to fund the production (or something to that effect) but yet no one was interested in it at the time (2016)

He was saying what a shame it is that now BILLIONS of dollars will be spent, thousands will die, when if they'd have just spent the 3 million we'd of been protected.

It's actually quite maddening when you really think about it. To know that there was a chance for NONE of this to happen, but yet our government thought it wasn't important enough? Can you say population control? JMO of course.

@BrandiDavis, this novel coronavirus was not around in 2016. This guy sounds like a first-rate scammer or just a plain old nut.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Okay, for arguments sake, let's say that he had gotten the money to find production for a vaccine, how many people do you think would've gotten the shot?

We have the flu vaccine, and not everybody gets that, and the flu is still around.

in my thread about when a vaccine comes out, would people get the shot?

There are people who said that no they wouldn't.

So, it stands to reason, that even if he had produced a vaccine, that not everyone would have gotten the shot, and COVID-19 would still be around.

Maybe not to the extent that it is now, but it would still exist.

So to say that his vaccine would mean that NONE of it would have happened?

No, it would've still happened, just not as severely.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

You are correct, @Cakers3. I did use the wrong wording in the post I have now deleted.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@BrandiDavis, this novel coronavirus was not around in 2016. This guy sounds like a first-rate scammer or just a plain old nut.

I saw the interview as well on CNN, I think.  The researcher was Dr. Hotez in Texas.  The vaccine that they were developing was for the SARS coronavirus, but they didn't get the necessary funding to complete it.  He believes that if they had, this might have given them a leg up on treating the current coronavirus outbreak.

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I saw the interview as well on CNN, I think.  The researcher was Dr. Hotez in Texas.  The vaccine that they were developing was for the SARS coronavirus, but they didn't get the necessary funding to complete it.  He believes that if they had, this might have given them a leg up on treating the current coronavirus outbreak.

Thank you for the added info, @Linmo. I imagine that they stopped development of a SARS vaccine becaused the virus disappeared. And of course it's only conjecture that it would have helped us with this novel coronavirus.

Still, I shouldn't have labeled him as a nut or scammer. :-) @BrandiDavis 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 and others who are interested, you can probably google his name and watch the interview.  Their work was done several years after SARS.  They believed the research should be done on previous coronaviruses like SARS and MERS to help combat potential future coronaviruses.  He didn't come across as a nut, but I certainly thought he was trying to get public support to help advance their research.