Esteemed Contributor

Re: If This Is How You Picture The Desert

Thank you @Marp and @feline groovy for the beautiful pics.  Mother Nature at her finest!

Honored Contributor

I don't live in the desert but I do live in a dry climate.  Due to water restictions, I have more cacti and succulents than ever.  Can't wait for them to all start blooming, which should be very soon.  I also love California poppies....see some of them in bloom already! 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi  Aren't all wildflowers basically weeds since they're not cultivated? 

@Kachina624    Yup.  And  just about any plant that thrives here would be considered a "weed" in other parts of the country.   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi  In West Texas they used to say, "if it's green and it grows, water it and love it". 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Eta ....if you rub creosote leaves between your fingers, they smell like rain (:

Beyond my wall is desert, and last summer a little creosote bush sprouted up and is now peaking over the wall into my yard. I watered it and it's happily growing into a nice looking shrub and I'm glad because it's in a perfect position to block something in the distance that wasn't that attractive (:

Esteemed Contributor

They are called weeds when they are in my yard.

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Um............they didn't mention  that some of those "wildflowers" are   WEEDS blooming after the heavy rains.......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'm a glass half full person because I don't automatically think of wildflowers as "weeds". Technically they are because they are not cultivated plants, but I choose to focus on the beauty they display in the spring.

I live in the desert too and all the mountains and hills around me look very much like the California picture.  Green, green, green with spots of color.  It's going to be a spectacular spring.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

Our desert never, ever looks as lush as the California picture because we never get as much rain.

@Azcowgirl @Desertdi

Do you Arizonans have goatheads?  They are my nemesis. They start with the monsoon rains in July.  They're a ground cover that grows so fast they can cover a yard in just a few days.  They get a pretty yellow flower that turns into a nasty burr.   The dogs get them stuck into their paws and track them into the house where I step on them barefooted. Ouch!  They're so sharp they stick into all my rubber soled shoes and I track them in.   Even if you're able to get rid of the plants, the burrs blow into the yard.   My yard is gravel with weed barrier but they still proliferate. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've lived in Arizona all my life and never heard of Goatheads. I been spraying weed killer every weekend to keep ahead of the weeds and out of my rock. (We don't have grass in either the back or front yard) 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Our desert never, ever looks as lush as the California picture because we never get as much rain.

@Azcowgirl @Desertdi

Do you Arizonans have goatheads?  They are my nemesis. They start with the monsoon rains in July.  They're a ground cover that grows so fast they can cover a yard in just a few days.  They get a pretty yellow flower that turns into a nasty burr.   The dogs get them stuck into their paws and track them into the house where I step on them barefooted. Ouch!  They're so sharp they stick into all my rubber soled shoes and I track them in.   Even if you're able to get rid of the plants, the burrs blow into the yard.   My yard is gravel with weed barrier but they still proliferate. 

@Kachina624   I had "something" that grew like Astroturf between my house and the neighbor's.    I had to dig it out by hand......but I don't recall any burrs.    Once I got rid of it, it didn't return.   Don't know what it was called............     I think the rains revitalize prehistoric stuff (!)  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥