Honored Contributor

If Social Security calls you today, it is not really them.

The fraudsters are really at it today. Even more than usual. Please be ultra careful. I’ve has three calls today from FAKE SOCIAL SECURITY on my land line and my hasband also has three calls with voice mails on his cell. PLEASE DON’T WORRY. The caller says someone is using your SS number. This is FAKE, FAKE, FAKE. DO NOT CALL THESE PEOPLE BACK AT THE NUMBER THEY LEAVE FOR YOU IN THE VOICEMAIL. Don’t stress over it. Delete the voicemail and go on. If you are ever in doubt, hang up and call social security using the REAL PHONE NUMBER they have listed on the genuine SOCIAL SECURITY WEBSITE. Never call back to the number the scammer leaves. 

Honored Contributor

Re: If Social Security calls you today, it is not really them.

My call blocker was the best investment I ever made, I rarely get spam calls.

I never give my cell phone # out, only family. I have no apps on it and I have never, ever had a spam call on my cell phone, in many years of having one.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I got all call about someone wanting to buy my house, it was blocked, be listened.  Are they going to sell it out from under me using my SSN?  This gets old.

Honored Contributor

The only day SS calls us and it's not a spam call is the day you called SS and asked for a call back!  Then when they call, they ask for the person BY NAME and the timing and your name is a good start to knowing it's a good call.

Honored Contributor

I've never received a phone call regarding social security or Medicare or insurance.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've never received a phone call regarding social security or Medicare or insurance.

I did, on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.  A first.  Said my social security number was in danger of being suspended and wanted me to call back. I believe it was an 866 area code. The answering machine picked it up.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just got ANOTHER call from them. I do live in Florida which has the unfortunate distinction of being the fraud capital of the U.S.

I don’t have Caller ID on my land line. We do have it on the cell phone. Most of my local friends and family are getting all kinds of scam calls. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Recently, I've had similar calls, though.  Some claiming to be from Comcast saying people are using my WiFi and they want to clear them out of my modem.

I knew it wasn't Comcast.  I began asking questions.  They even had the serial number of my modem.  

Those calling are using Comcast's name and telephone number that flashes across my TV screen.  Of course, people would answer it. That's for landlines.

They are from India with a strong accent using European names like Jack and Mike Smith.  How they got my name and telephone number...well I know how they got it.  They either work(ed) for Comcast's technical support in India or hacked their website.  I tend to think the former.  

Called Comcast.  No, no one from Comcast was calling me, but to my astonishment I learned these fraudulent callers often use (steal) actual company names and telephone numbers to call their victims making it look like Comcast is calling them.  

Had a similar problem with callers from India who I suspect worked for Dell tech support at one time and stole customers' computer serial numbers, names and telephone numbers.  They said I had a bug and could remove it.  Didn't fall for that one either. 

Again, Dell's name and telephone number flashed across my TV screen.  Dell had not called me and said, "We don't monitor computers we sold for viruses."  Well, I knew that.  

So be aware.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I just got ANOTHER call from them. I do live in Florida which has the unfortunate distinction of being the fraud capital of the U.S.

I don’t have Caller ID on my land line. We do have it on the cell phone. Most of my local friends and family are getting all kinds of scam calls. 

@Mindy D 

Mindy, please keep in mind that SS doesn't call youThey send you letters.  The IRS will send CERTIFIED letters if it's important.   Ignore the calls.

Esteemed Contributor

No calls from them but from V almost every day. Blocking doesn't help for the numbers seem changed.