Honored Contributor

Re: If I was angelic, I think my halo would be tilted ... or fall off ...

It's beautiful, @Annabellethecat66 , the loving relationship you have with your daughters.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My youngest daughter was one of the first people to get the virus way back.  Her friend and friend's husband and her boyfriend all got it early on.  The friend is a virologist and works with that lady that was talking about the virus on TV.

Anyway, the only thing I worry about is if I get it my daughter having to come back here to help me.

She rearranged her life over and over since March.  I broke my back in March, she worked from my house (she lives in Denver) for about 1 month, then quit the job.  

She drove back here in June (I've lost track) with her dog and stay for a few months, then drove back to Denver.

Two weeks later she flew back here to Va. to help me.  I had to have my vertebra cemented.

This is now October.  She was going to go to help her sister in Florida move but now is going to head home back to pick up her dog (from boyfriend's house) and go home and start studying for classes she's taking.

It would be terrible if I got the virus and was very sick with it.  I'm almost 74 and a little overweight.  I also have IGG (it's an autoimmune disease.  

I'm being very careful but often it's hard to track where and how you got it.

Fingers crossed.  My granddaughter at VaTech found out she got it so my daughter (who saw her right before) was tested.  Granddaughter had virus daughter (older daughter) didn't have it.

The Virologist friend has told my daughter people are getting it again who had it before.  So no one is immune from it.

@Annabellethecat66 

So your daughter and her friends were officially tested, and a doctor officially confirmed that they had Covid?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Sooner  My daughter doesn't mind helping me.

I just read your post to and she said she never minds helping me.

She said, "You're my Mom.  I do anything for you Mom".

@Annabellethecat66  My comment wasn't about that--but that you are asking so much of her.  Not whether she is willing to do it or not.  That is an entirely different issue.  

Honored Contributor

Personally,  if you are so reckless as to be casual about the virus, be prepared to provide for your own care.

Honored Contributor

I don't think you have to be reckless or casual about COVID to get it.  It is an invisible virus.

Even if you are careful, wear a mask, hand wash and distance, you can get it.  No how no way will a mask really protect you or anyone you come in contact with.

When I go to the grocery store, I can smell the coffee, fried chicken and bakery items though the mask.  If food smells can get through, so can the virus.

In order to get it, someone has to pass it to you.  You could be in a room with hundreds of people packed in like sardines with no mask and not get sick if no one has COVID.

My adult children all worked through the lock down.  Thank goodness and God, they all are fine.

If any of my family members get COVID, I will be there first thing to help.  If I get COVID, I will mostly be on my own.  I don't want my kids or grands near me and my DH who is a good man is not very helpful when I am sick.  He means well, but just doesn't know what to do and annoys me.

I don't worry about things that might happen.  It takes too much energy and from experience, it is not worth it.  One day at a time.

Wishing everyone and their loved ones good health.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I don't think you have to be reckless or casual about COVID to get it.  It is an invisible virus.

Even if you are careful, wear a mask, hand wash and distance, you can get it.  No how no way will a mask really protect you or anyone you come in contact with.

When I go to the grocery store, I can smell the coffee, fried chicken and bakery items though the mask.  If food smells can get through, so can the virus.

In order to get it, someone has to pass it to you.  You could be in a room with hundreds of people packed in like sardines with no mask and not get sick if no one has COVID.

My adult children all worked through the lock down.  Thank goodness and God, they all are fine.

If any of my family members get COVID, I will be there first thing to help.  If I get COVID, I will mostly be on my own.  I don't want my kids or grands near me and my DH who is a good man is not very helpful when I am sick.  He means well, but just doesn't know what to do and annoys me.

I don't worry about things that might happen.  It takes too much energy and from experience, it is not worth it.  One day at a time.

@Carmie 

Then why even bother with wearing a mask, washing our hands, and distancing, if catching Covid is "inevitable" ?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Smells are smaller molecularly than the openings in your mask. So that is why you can smell things with your mask on. Air (a gas and molecularly very small) also passes in and out. That's why you can breathe with one on.

Moisture droplets from speaking or coughing are larger molecularly than gasses like smells and air and are much larger than the openings in your mask. That is why when you speak or cough your mask catches those droplets and prevents them from landing on or being inhaled by your fellow human beings. And they do the same for you.

It's not foolproof. But if almost everybody does does their part, our chances are good.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Carmie 

Then why even bother with wearing a mask, washing our hands, and distancing, if catching Covid is "inevitable" ?

It's inevitable for the people who mess around often enough in hot zones. It's like driving drunk. They might get away with it several times without consequences, but eventually and without warning...consequence dead ahead. Cause and effect.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Smells are smaller molecularly than the openings in your mask. So that is why you can smell things with your mask on. Air (a gas and molecularly very small) also passes in and out. That's why you can breathe with one on.

Moisture droplets from speaking or coughing are larger molecularly than gasses like smells and air and are much larger than the openings in your mask. That is why when you speak or cough your mask catches those droplets and prevents them from landing on or being inhaled by your fellow human beings. And they do the same for you.

It's not foolproof. But if almost everybody does does their part, our chances are good.

@Porcelain I agree. After eight of my husbands friends died because they all sat next to one another at their clubs with no mask or staying apart we are careful. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819   Why would you suggest that I think getting COVID is inevitable?  I didn't say or Imply that at all.

There is no 100% way to stay safe unless you are not exposed to the virus.  The recommendations  of the CDC do help, but they are not foolproof .

I don't trust a mask to fully protect anyone...even the Medical N95 masks don't do that. Even the CDC says it will not protect you, but will somewhat protect others if you have COVID. 

I protect myself by staying away from people as much as possible.  No restaurants or social functions for me. And I do wear a mask, wash hands, etc.

Reckless behavior or not, this virus is nothing to take lightly and we all need to not feel that a mask, social distancing, etc will fully protect us. It won't.