Honored Contributor

Re: If I was angelic, I think my halo would be tilted ... or fall off ...

@Laura14 wrote:

I am alone without help and all you can do is be careful.  What happens will happen sometimes in the best of circumstances and you just get through it as best you can.  It's my and other people's reality and I find that fighting it is often the worst thing you could ever do.  

I thought you had a huge family. Wouldn't any of them help you?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I don't blame you, @shy bobcat. These are very difficult times. If one of your family members does get it and need help, I'd just drop food or whatever they need off at the door, I would not go in and I would tell them to wait till I was gone to come out and get it. If they don't like it, too bad.

I think we should help when we can, but I don't think we need to put ourselves at risk.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do have concerns about caring for my family members if someone here tests positive for the virus.   

The 4 of us are very careful, but our daughters are essential workers and are working every day in conditions where they are likely to be exposed.   I have always felt my highest risk for exposure is thru my girls, and what they might carry into our home.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not worried but very concerned!  I take all the CDC recommended precautions.  I do not have any help available.

I was already a "hand washer" because I have a dog that I handle, or handle his food and treats, all day long.  Always washing my hands.

I feel safe in my home and car and I use gloves (plastic sandwich bags) when I handle anything like the gas pump.

I have my groceries delivered by Shipt.  I have used that service since surgery in 2016.  

Going for a haircut and perm this week!  Getting bold?  No, just need a "pick me up" very badly!

@shy bobcat  I doubt seriously that your halo is tilted!  You seem like a sweet, caring person!

Honored Contributor

I'm not worried about that at all.  The people I am closest to are follow the rules and protect themselves and the chance that any of us would contract Covid 19 is low.  Social distancing, masks, hand hygiene, hand sanitizer, gloves are a part of reality.  It's been that way since March even though I live in a state with very low numbers.  Our numbers are low because that's how the vast majority of us live now.  I actually only know two people who had Covid 19.  One was a friend who got it back in April when things were bad and she passed away.  We didn't even know until June.  That hurt.  The other friend took a big risk and went to visit a relative in FL where she was honest that she followed the lead of the people around her and did nothing to stay safe.  She didn't want draw attention to herself.  The good thing is that she self quarantined when she got home so when she came down with symptoms a few days later, she had not passed it to anyone else.  She was sick for two weeks but she said it no worse than having a bad cold. She had Zoom meetings with her doctor and the doctor's nurse.  The Pharmacy mailed her prescriptions to her. A neighbor got her mail and did her grocery shopping.  She put those things at front door and my friend retrieved them.  The vast majority of people do not get critically ill so they do not get hospitalized.  People who are being cared for at home need to isolate in a room or separate part of the house.  The people who are caring for them don't need any PPE other than masks, gloves, hand washing, hand sanitizer.  You should be thinking more about how not to get it than what do do after you get it.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's so easy to worry. Daughter, essential worker with the airlines, will get her test tomorrow to make sure she isn't 'shedding' covid any longer. It was difficult having her away and we called daily. Her friends are also essential workers - teachers, nurses, pilots, flight attendants, servers and she's one of the last of her tribe to get covid19. I'm concerned about my hubs and some of his health conditions. Hubs tested positive this spring but had no symptoms. He lived at his parents vacant house for 2 weeks. But can you get it twice? Son is a single dad and I would feel compelled to help him and do my best to stay safe. What a year 2020 has been. I'm trying not to worry, but I do.      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I believe everyone should have a "just in case" plan.  You can't be too careful.  

My friend's friend was visited by someone who found out the day after visiting that her friend was positive.    Nobody knew!  She could have been a carrier without knowing it.  Anybody could, unless you live in a cave!

Everyone is not fortunate enough to live in a town offering all the services explained here. And all neighbors are not as helpful because they are afraid of catching it also!  They aren't "bad", just scared. 

We are all seniors and Covid-19 is not our friend!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@tansy  I do live about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes from my oldest daughter (she's 47).

She manages all of my business matters, takes care of taxes to accountants, etc.  I often go over to her house for dinner, etc.  She has 4 children and a husband.  3 of her children are teenagers and a 9 year old.  She's a stay at home mom but is very busy.

In an emergency she's there to help me.  My youngest daughter is the one I was speaking about.  She lives in Denver.  I couldn't live in Colorado due to arthritis.

She will never leave Colorado.  She skis, hikes, runs for charity and leads a very full life.  If I need anything she flies here in a minute.  No questions asked.

The middle one is in the throes of a divorce.  She has 3 young daughters and is very busy with them.  She's getting ready to move to Miami.

I've always prided myself about being independent.  I have good friends who are there if needed quickly.

I will probably have to sell this big house because it's too big to keep up.  They want me to hire a housekeeper but I like living and being alone except for them.

@Annabellethecat66 You are asking a lot from the daughter in Colorado.  You should consider making other arrangements than have her running back and forth.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  My daughter doesn't mind helping me.

I just read your post to and she said she never minds helping me.

She said, "You're my Mom.  I do anything for you Mom".