Honored Contributor

If I had it do over again, I'd have been into

Real Estate.  I did something on this line, no license, just rentals, before I retired.  I love to watch the shows about selling homes.  I really really do.  Nope, to late now, but, I would do it, with my 20/20 hindsight.

What would you think you might have loved to do for a job, if you had the chance again?

Honored Contributor

Re: If I had it do over again, I'd have been into

Professional show dog handler.  I have a friend who does this in semi-retirement.  He loves traveling to the shows, and makes a good income to boot.  I go to the local shows when I can because I love to see and meet the dogs.

Honored Contributor

I have a Real Estate license and a Hairdressers ( cosmetology) license.  I worked in both areas and also worked about 25 years in health insurance.

If I had a do over, I would be a foot and ankle surgeon.  I always wanted to do this, but I got married really young and had children and missed my opportunity.

Esteemed Contributor

I would have gone to college for a specific vocation - accountant, financial planner, nurse, teacher, etc.  I got a business degree, which of course was useful, but I should have picked something specific to work towards that led me into a job.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

I would of stayed in the school system.  I was what they called in the day a secretary (now an administrative assistant) and the benefits were great and they included a nice pension if you worked in the district 10 years or more. I was only there for 1 year and then moved into the insurance field for over 40 years - no pension.

My sister-in-law worked for the school system (office work ) for about 12 years and has a VERY nice pension.

Gosh, I would of had a wonderful pension if I had stayed there for the over 40 years that I've been working!   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Something to do with Tourism in Hawaii or Cruises.Fun thread, reading everyone's answers..

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting question. I asked my hubs and he said - he would do nothing differently - 44 yrs in corporate world. I think he would have been great in real estate but glad he's content. For me - 5 yrs in non-profit and 34 yrs in higher education. I was business faculty for 4 years and switched to student development. I go back and forth on whether I should have remained faculty but I enjoyed both positions. Met pension retirement in 2012 at main college and will retire from another college this May. All good. I'd go into higher education all over again.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I wanted to be a jounalist but my choice of college didn't offer anything in that category. I ended up being a counselor in an urban school system.  I did take a course in Interviewing and that did help with my job. I still read two newspapes delivered to my door daily, my news sources.

Respected Contributor

If I had it to do over again, I'd be a fighter pilot. When I was looking at colleges, the military acadamies were just starting to accept women. I pursued that briefly until I was bluntly told that women were not allowed in combat aircraft and then changed directions. I loved what I did, but I sometimes still have that "I wonder" moment. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

I think for me, either the medical profession, or a lawyer.

I find the e.r. to be facinating, and court proceedings to be intriguing.

But you have to be super smart to become a doctor or lawyer, and I'm not.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.