Honored Contributor

Idle Thoughts About Our Friends Across the Pond

To take our mind off more sobering topics, perhaps we can share thoughts on Queen Elizabeth's "firm desire" that Camilla be given the title "Queen Consort" rather than "Princess Consort" when Charles ascends the throne.   

A Daily Mail reader's response to this desire had me burst out laughing:

If ever there was a good time for the crown to skip a generation, this is it. Charles is already one foot in the grave.

Queen Elizabeth II and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall pictured together during a visit to Ebony Horse Club & Community Riding Centre in London in 2013

Honored Contributor

Re: Idle Thoughts About Our Friends Across the Pond

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't care what they call her.  Their privileged life does not distract me from our own US problems.  I realize some get enjoyment in following the Royal Family so excuse me if I am intruding, just giving my feeling.

Honored Contributor

I always wonder how Kate feels about having to curtsy to Camilla?  I understand that, according to protocol, she's  supposed to do it if William is not present.  I'd make sure he was with me at all times.

Anyone have a feeling for how the British people feel about Camilla as Queen Consort?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

That made you burst out laughing? You must amuse easily.....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Well I'm not a follower of the Royal Family but. I figure Camilla hung in there for the long haul, i.e., he married Diana to carry on the monachy, not out of love.  And. it seems that Charles and Camilla have had a long, genuine, lastting love.  So, imho the Queen is right:  upgrade the title at the approprate time.

Respected Contributor

I don't know why kate would even think anything of  it isn't like she knew Diana  

The person who replied to the daily mail might not even be British 

Honored Contributor

I can't really be objective about Camilla or Charles. I don't know them but I will never like either of them.

I don't know that I would have said he has one foot in the grave but I too would think it would be so great if the queen could skip a generation.

I don't admire the monarchy no matter how many charities they support. It just seems like an antiquated self serving system in England at least.

From what I've read and seen, I do admire Kate and William and would love to see them as King and Queen if there has to be a monarchy.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

It shows the Queen has a great respect for Camilla. I think Charles and Camilla will make a wonderful King and Queen. They both seem to be kind,compassionate, and dedicated to a life of service. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO Charles (who I didn't care for ever) was forced into marriage to a woman he didn't love. I blame the queen for that and he had to knuckle under and didn't have the ability to say no. They (Charles and his mother) both made a

mockery of that marriage which should never have happened. I guess if the Brits like Camilla hooray for them. Not my cuppa at all.

Honored Contributor

I think it is absolutel the right thing to do. She has never made a spectabcle of herself, and does a good job now in her role as Charles' wife.  You can see they are in love.

Charles should have been able to marry her to begin with and apparently they were always in love.  I think the fact that they are happy and she pitches in and does her job, seems to say this is a good move and another good and right decision by the Queen.