Respected Contributor

It is going on now. Big deal in Alaska.

Honored Contributor

@traveler 

I know, and it is quite a feat for the dogs and their human. I love winter and a winter sport(hockey). But this? It is something to watch only, and I have watched and enjoyed it  a lot over the years.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

There is a really good mystery book I read years ago - the setting is the Iditarod Race.  I recommend it.   Murder On The Iditarod Trail by Sue Henry.  The mystery was good and the setting was unusual to say the least!   I read it in paperback, from our library.

Honored Contributor

The Iditarod is a big deal to many people in the dog world.  I've followed it for years.  The preparation for it by the mushers takes an amazing amount of dedication and hard work.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I’m watching updates and side stories at local ktuu.com

Esteemed Contributor

I saw the sled dogs in Alaska  and mentioned to an owner that I had an Alaskan Malamute named Jessie. He said that female Malamutes are bad sled dogs because they always want to lead! He was correct about my dog!

Honored Contributor

Every year dogs die. It's just another form of animal abuse to entertain, show off, and make money.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Every year dogs die. It's just another form of animal abuse to entertain, show off, and make money.

The Iditarod has killed more than 150 dogs since it began in 1973. Five died in 2017 alone.  For entertainment.

This is what your sled dog looks like

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
DD and her family were there when it was happening a few years ago. Broke her heart to see how some of the dogs were treated. I think each year some dogs die from the physical stress and cold
Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

The Iditarod has killed more than 150 dogs since it began in 1973. Five died in 2017 alone.  For entertainment.

This is what your sled dog looks like

I never gave it much thought until we visited training farm for sled dogs. The dogs are housed in individual sheds about 4'X4' off the ground to avoid wettness. The dogs were chained to his house by about a 6' length restraint. He could move in a 6' circle around his shed. The dogs were barking and jumping like crazy. It just seemed so harsh. The picture that you show is much like what we saw.