Respected Contributor

Re: Ideal Way to Leave This Planet? Not morbid! Lol

@ninjawife

As a great football and baseball lover, this sounds good to me.   Go out doing something I love.   

Esteemed Contributor

@dulwich

On the one hand, dying in your sleep seems like the easiest way to go, but it also kind of bothers me that you wouldn’t know what was going on. Maybe I’d rather go like my elderly neighbor did. He sent his sitter out to buy him a po boy (big sandwich on New Orleans French bread), then keeled over at the table while eating it. I figure he really enjoyed his last few moments on earth. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I do, @dulwich, I do!  A party built around Astaire and Rogers-- unusual, memorable,  perfect.  I bet the other guests remember it as fondly as you do.

Respected Contributor

Quietly and peacefully in my sleep.  However, hopefully that doesnt happen for a long time.

Super Contributor

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Heart
Valued Contributor

When my sister-in-law stopped in to check on her elderly mom one afternoon, she found her peacefully snoozing on the sofa.  Unfortunately, she wasn’t exactly snoozing.  But what a great way to go.  Truth is the vast majority of us will die in a hospital or nursing home possibly with tubes attached to various beeping machines.  I just don’t want to suffer a prolonged, miserable illness before I exit.

Trusted Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

When I was born, I took my first breath...and it was just the start of a long, amazing journey in a physical body. I assume that when I take my last breath, it will be the same--the start of another journey but without a physical body. The transition is significant, but not really a big deal for me. And I will have finished all my business on this beautiful planet, so I will be joyful.

I mean to keep learning new things and starting new projects as long as I can, and will probably leave behind a lot of messy loose ends. What I want is that nothing about the last part of my human life, or my leaving of it, or the period following, is overly troublesome for people I love. 

Such a beautiful outlook and response, @KaySD. ❤️

I share your sentiments, and if I could choose.. I'd prefer to transition during my sleep in my own bed. 

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ, Thanks for your comment. I think I understand, and I imagine just about everyone--definitely me, too--wants the final period of his or her life to be free from pain or violence. I was only sharing my personal belief that the event we call death is simply a breath out, not a very big deal in itself, and not much different whether I'm asleep or awake, whether I'm in pain or not, etc. Choosing that belief is uplifting for me.Smiley Happy