Honored Contributor

Idea for makeshift waterproof covering of 2” x 2” area on my back while showering tonight,

[ Edited ]

Bit of an emergency here. I thought I ordered the right thing but it's not waterproof. If you have ever tried anything to very temporarily cover an area of skin on the lower back I'm all ears. I also have some hurt free paper tape and some non stick gauze pads, but any ideas for a quick covering is good. No need to include these. If you have ever had an idea that worked in such an emergency, please tell me. I also have a hand held shower sprayer, but I need to wash the top of my back and my hair and ypthe water will drip downward. This is an emergency and I need the idea for tonight. Thanks. I also have Saran Wrap or Glad Wrap and plastic bags around here. Sterility is not an issue. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Idea for makeshift waterproof covering of 2” x 2” area on my back while showering tonight,

It might be too late for you.....but you can buy large, waterproof bandaid bandages (square and all sizes). They really are waterproof.

Super Contributor

Re: Idea for makeshift waterproof covering of 2” x 2” area on my back while showering tonight,

I have used Glad Press and Seal and duct tape to seal the edges when showering.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

Project A:  to do your hair first.  Get a very large plastic bag and cut up the front middle.  Create arm holes. Put bag on with opening in front.  Tape around arm holes to keep water out in the back section.  Wash hair.

Project B: to wash upper back. Wrap another bag and tape it above your waist in the back.

HTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

i have also used the glad press and seal when i had to shower with a wound.  added some tape, and bingo.  good luck! 

Respected Contributor

I used to routinely wash my hair in the bathroom sink.

Or wrap the saran wrap around your whole trunk - a few wraps around.

Honored Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

i have also used the glad press and seal when i had to shower with a wound.  added some tape, and bingo.  good luck! 

@fancy pantsy What kind of tape did you use, if you remember? I have bandaid hurt free paper tape.

Respected Contributor

If you absolutely must, wash your hair in the kitchen sink, and do a bird bath for your body (water, soap, and a wash cloth).  Or skip a night altogether.until you can get to a pharmacy tomorrow to get better supplies.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I'd wash my hair in the sink.  Then take a bath how it's done in hospitals...from a pan of water; although, I'd use two, one for washing, the other for rinsing.

You could cover the area on your back with something that would prevent drips.  You mentioned you have Saran Wrap.  

Respected Contributor

After back surgery the doc told me to cover with gauze and tape for the edges and then use Press Nd Seal over that. Worked like a charm. Then remove gauze let area air dry and if instructed re apply fresh gauze