Frequent Contributor

Re: Idaho murders. Probable Cause for Arrest Affidavit released. Very detailed.

@Etoile308 wrote:

While the surviving roommate saw the suspect, that doesn't mean the suspect saw the roommate.

Exactly @Etoile308!   I believe he never saw her (DM).  I think he never intended to kill Xana and Ethan but it was likely Xana who exclaimed "there's someone here" and so suspect swiftly pursued and killed the couple.  If the suspect knew the surviving roommate(s) had noticed him, they would have been murdered as well.

I haven't yet viewed the 20/20 program.  I need to checkout what their experts have to say about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moon Child wrote:

@Etoile308 wrote:

While the surviving roommate saw the suspect, that doesn't mean the suspect saw the roommate.

Exactly @Etoile308!   I believe he never saw her (DM).  I think he never intended to kill Xana and Ethan but it was likely Xana who exclaimed "there's someone here" and so suspect swiftly pursued and killed the couple.  If the suspect knew the surviving roommate(s) had noticed him, they would have been murdered as well.

I haven't yet viewed the 20/20 program.  I need to checkout what their experts have to say about it.

I'm going back to rewatch 20/20 it didn't hold my interest like Dateline did. Maybe it was too early after breakfast. 

Respected Contributor

I have wondered if they were looking at other unsolved murders in the area...I think if he could commit these horrible murders in such a personal way...he could have killed others...I hope they can tie him to any others he may have committed.  Victim's families and friends deserve closure and justice if he has in fact commited these murders. I wisih they had not delayed more proceedings until June. I know he waived his right to a speedy trial, but I can't imagine the need to prolong this so long.

Esteemed Contributor

MOSCOW, Idaho (King5) — Bryan Kohberger, the man accused of the killings studied the psychology of criminals and crimes similar to the one he’s accused of.

While the motive behind the killings is unknown, the fact that the man accused of was a Ph D. criminology student is just one of the many shocking revelations in this case.

“The factors surrounding this case have been extremely unusual,” said Dr. Casey Jordan, an attorney and criminology professor at Western Connecticut University.

We asked Jordan if Kohberger studying criminology can tell us anything about him or the case. 

“As a criminologist, believe me, I was really shocked but not really surprised to find out that the accused was doing a Ph.D. in criminology,” Jordan said.

Dr. Jordan has been teaching the subject for 35 years. 

“I can guarantee you that nothing he learned in his classes helped him if indeed he did factually commit these crimes, to commit these crimes or to try to get away with it,” Jordan said.

Jordan said criminology classes often delve into the psyche of an offender, topics Kohberger likely had in his undergrad studies at DeSales University.

“The truth is, it wasn't his higher education that may have contributed to his thought process. We believe the thought process was already there."

"If indeed again, he is guilty what he did was go into the field of Criminal Justice and Criminology as more of a symptom of his preoccupation, perhaps an obsession with true crime, and that he felt comfortable studying this because it appealed to him, but certainly his studies did not contribute to the crimes of which he is accused,” Jordan said.

A few of the country’s most high-profile killers have a similar educational background as Kohberger, however, Jordan said that doesn't equate to a pattern.

“We do have several examples of people with higher education degrees, including the BTK, who had a degree in criminal justice, golden state killer, a degree in criminal justice. It's not unheard of, but let's agree it's extremely rare that people major in criminal justice, and then go on to commit heinous murders,” Dr. Jordan said.

Kohberger maintains his innocence. He is currently being held without bail and has said through an attorney, he expects to be exonerated.

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Yes, I read  the entire affidavit . What I cannot understand is why didn't the surviving  room mate  call 911 after she  opened her door  3 times  and heard  her room mates say  " someone is here "  and then heard whimpering . The two surviving room mates did not call Police for 8 hrs later !   If she had called 911 , maybe one of the 4 murdered  room mates my have lived if they had  received medical care.

@skatting44, Yes, my very thoughts.  I cannot understand this at all.  First of all, this girl knew there was something very bad going on in this home.  So she runs to her room, locks her door, and the police are called eight hours later?  

I don’t envy her.  She will have a lifetime of “what if’s.”  And when she is called to testify at trial, what is she going to say?

It makes one wonder if any victims could have been saved or the killer apprehended quickly.

Frequent Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I have wondered if they were looking at other unsolved murders in the area...I think if he could commit these horrible murders in such a personal way...he could have killed others...I hope they can tie him to any others he may have committed.  Victim's families and friends deserve closure and justice if he has in fact commited these murders. I wisih they had not delayed more proceedings until June. I know he waived his right to a speedy trial, but I can't imagine the need to prolong this so long.

Good thinking @Trailrun23.  Evidently LE does that sort of thing routinely or at least a former FBI agent stated that unsolved murder cases in Pennsylvania would be re-examined with the Idaho suspect in mind.  I stumbled across that info when reading various news reports.  I have heard or read at least one expert who stated (it might have been on Dr. Phil show) that it would be very unlikely that such a heinous crime (such extreme violence) would be the suspect's first murder. 

(FWIW, suspect actually waived his right to a speedy "preliminary hearing," but it does get reported at times as a trial.)

Respected Contributor

It seems odd no one has mentioned the sixth roommate...wouldn't she have been in the same room as the girl who saw BK? Was she sleeping through this entire encounter? Still more questions...

Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I wonder the same thing. Could be they don't think 23 & Me and Ancestry.com are reliable, or maybe the two companies managed to get their databases copyrighted or something so they aren't messed with by anyone else. I was really surprised that the genetic geneology dna info can't be used in court. 

@Trailrun23 

Not sure if this is a Federal or a State issue. I have looked and seen both. Saw where "if it is an FBI case", it might be legal to use. Have also seen where 12 different States can use Familial DNA to solve Cold Cases in trials.  ?????

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Trailrun23 ... It was originally reported that the two surviving roommates occupied the first floor two bedrooms. Now, with the news that one of them saw him, they said she was sleeping on the second floor bedroom which is next to the staircase leading to the third floor. ...... Also, has anyone heard Kaylee Goncalves' father said Kaylee moved out of her apartment on the third floor already because she was graduating a little early ???...because she was moving to Texas for an IT job....that she wanted her best friend Madison to see her new vehicle and also go to a party that night with Madison. So Kaylee wasn't living there any longer !! Perhaps Kaylee's father...or people were questioning why Kaylee and Madison were sleeping in the same bed. What a shame Kaylee just happened to be staying there that night !!! 😥
Esteemed Contributor

Kaylee Goncalves, a 21-year-old senior from Rathdrum, Idaho, was majoring in general studies at the College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences. She was a member of the Alpha Phi sorority. She'd recently bought a 2016 Range Rover, planned a trip to Europe next year, and expected to move to Texas after graduation, her sister Alivea Goncalves told NBC's TODAY.

“She had everything going for her, absolutely everything,” her older sister, Alivea, said. “She had her job lined up. She had worked really hard for it."

The luxury car symbolized the promising future that had awaited Kaylee, who was set to graduate in December, embark on a backpacking trip across Europe in January and start a well-paid marketing job in Austin, Texas, in February.

Kristi and Steve Goncalves told Dateline that their daughter, 21-year-old Kaylee Goncalves, was due to graduate from college early and had lined up a job with an IT firm in Austin, Texas.

Kaylee Goncalves had just moved out of the house she shared with her longtime best friend, 21-year-old Madison “Maddie” Mogen.

“These girls were best friends since sixth grade, like inseparable,” Kristi Goncalves said. The two had lived together and “were true, ultimate best friends,” she said. “Maddie had been a huge part of our life.”

Kaylee Goncalves, who had just bought a new Range Rover, told her parents she wanted to go back to Moscow, Idaho, to show it to Maddie and to attend a nearby party together. 

“That was the last time that I saw Kaylee,” her mother said.