Esteemed Contributor

Idaho college murders update

There is a fascinating article in today's NYT about how police sorted through all the data to zero in on suspect Byron K. They used several methods that hadn't previously been used in active murder case investigations.

Respected Contributor

Re: Idaho college murders update

[ Edited ]

Hi @patbz  Woman Happy

Thanks for this info.  I've lost track of updates of this info.  I oftentime watch NewsNation's Channel  Ashleigh "Banfield" program for updates, but a couple of saved episodes sit on my DVR, until I can watch, or need to delete & make room.

I still am so shocked & aghast.  I cant even fathom what the heck goes on in someone, anyone's head, heart & soul, that they can commit such gruesome, outrageous murders.  It's way, way, wayy beyond my possible comprehension.

Thanks for this info,  I think, heh  Woman Wink

Hope you have a great day!  Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting this. Most of the information has been known for a long time. What was new for me was that the police could sharpen video of the white car and decided it may be a Hyundai as well as a Nissan. 

Also that they only needed one warrant to gather info on dating app users instead of 19.

The use of genealogical DNA info has been assumed for a long time.

Because I'm blocked by the paywall, I can only read NYT articles on the day they are published. If you hadn't posted today, I would have missed it.

Trusted Contributor

@patbz   Dateline on NBC had a very detailed and comprehensive episode about the case a few weeks ago where they outlined all the advanced techniques and coordination among law enforcement agencies you mention in the article. 

It was fascinating and informative. 

This is a death-penalty case so it will likely take YEARS to go to trial. 

The victims' families would be consulted regarding whether they wish to support going to a LENGTHY TRIAL or would, instead, opt for him spending the rest of his miserable "life" in prison (like Scott Peterson).

The prosecution is not bound by the wishes of the families; however, in these types of cases, their opinions are given a lot of weight.

Esteemed Contributor

i know that one is innocent until proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt , but it sure seems so far the authorities  believe they have the demented cruel culprit in custody.

it will be facinating to hear  experts  findings/opinions when they study his psyche , unfortunately a sentence of life in prision  gives this  murderer the opportunity to have all the attention  and study into his psyche may give him all the attention to stroke his ego .

sick, just like  Dennis Rader, BTK killer ....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

He reminds me of Elliot Rodger. Look him up. He was another killer, incel and misogynist with many narcissistic traits. 

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@patbz   Dateline on NBC had a very detailed and comprehensive episode about the case a few weeks ago where they outlined all the advanced techniques and coordination among law enforcement agencies you mention in the article. 

It was fascinating and informative. 

This is a death-penalty case so it will likely take YEARS to go to trial. 

The victims' families would be consulted regarding whether they wish to support going to a LENGTHY TRIAL or would, instead, opt for him spending the rest of his miserable "life" in prison (like Scott Peterson).

The prosecution is not bound by the wishes of the families; however, in these types of cases, their opinions are given a lot of weight.

@pdlinda I bet that there will be at least one of the parents that rather see a death penalty verdict in this case.