Valued Contributor

Re: Idaho Murders: Third Unsolved Stabbing Attack Resurfaces Amid College Slaying Mystery

Washougal, WA is 340 miles from Moscow, ID.  Silverton, OR is 394 miles from Moscow, ID.  The distance between Washougal and Silverton is 58 miles.  Just mentioning for context regarding proximity of stabbings.

* when reading about the Oregon crime it is written that it occurred in rural Marion County, Salem, OR, and other times Silverton, OR   Both Salem and Silverton are in Marion County and are 14 miles apart. 

libby's folly
Respected Contributor

Re: Idaho Murders: Third Unsolved Stabbing Attack Resurfaces Amid College Slaying Mystery

@skatting44 wrote:

At this point , the FBI needs to look at all 3  stabbing cases that are  coincidentally within  the 60  the geographic area , the elderly lady, the couple and these Idaho co-eds.  In the middle of the 60 miles is a Reservation which may give someone cover. All the stabbing occurred on the 13th of the month  and the other couple were attached at 3am as were the Idaho  co-eds .  The husband that  was killed in the couple's attack apparently fought back   but they have not solved that case as yet  .  DNA is great but it has to match someone's dna  on file. Is there a psychopath  who is knifing people like in the movie " Scream  " ?   I don't know how the Police can say that horrendous dog  killing was not related  .  It may be that it was done to  further strike fear in everyone. I am glade that I don't live in the area.

Reporters from a local CBS news station in Moscow, Idaho, interviewed former agent and FBI profiler, Mary Ellen O'Toole.  O'Toole is in a league of her own, and gave by far the most informative interview I’ve seen regarding this case, considering what little information has been provided. 

O'Toole said that, based on the area where the crime was committed, she described a hunter - an experienced hunter. She also said that that person would not discard or throw the knife away. Hunters often have a favorite knife, and some are emotionally attached to their skinning knives. 

O'Toole also said that this type of violence is perpetrated frequently on strangers, and is the kind of violence used by people who are psychopathic... people who are profoundly lacking in empathy and guilt..."

Respected Contributor

Thank you for these Idaho threads!

Last night, finally I was able to get to bed, & sleep at a reasonable time.

At 1:15AM, someone was knocking & knocking, & pounding on my door, for at least 10-15 minutes, even tho my house was dark!

I worried it might be one of my beloved neighbors, needing help.

But I also remember this "slasher" topics on these Idaho threads.

NO WAY, NO WAY was I going to answer that door, esp since I dont have  "door peephole," (only a regular window beside the door)!  And esp after these "slasher" news stories -    Dont even care if they're perhaps only in Idaho!

And esp since I "near missed" running an errand at that VA Walmart that the employee shot/killed coworkers.

So called all my beloved neighbors, tht we look out for one another, and no one is in trouble.  But at least they're also *alerted* there was a "late night knocker" knocking on the door!

Remembering - BE CAREFUL!  

These arent the "ole days!"  And I'm not fit to run!

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn  OMGosh, if someone were banging on my door for 10 to 15 minutes and at one o'clock in the morning--I would've called the police just to let them know.  Someone else may've opened their door to whoever it was and it could've been a bad outcome.  At least the police would know in case something did happen, they could investigate.  

That would've freaked me out.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@MakeUpMaidn  OMGosh, if someone were banging on my door for 10 to 15 minutes and at one o'clock in the morning--I would've called the police just to let them know.  Someone else may've opened their door to whoever it was and it could've been a bad outcome.  At least the police would know in case something did happen, they could investigate.  

That would've freaked me out.

~~~~~

@Lucky Charm 

Yeah, I didnt think to call the Police.  That's a good idea!

(edited out)

Safety was my #1 criteria in selecting this neighborhood, as  in years ago, it was considered "very safe,"  but as 'safe" as can be determined, in this day & age, esp, with all these "homicidal whack-a-doodles" with their ideas,  milling around, in "Anywhere USA." (or World)

Call Police, great idea! @Lucky Charm  THX!!

Honored Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn  - That is strange that someone was pounding on your door for so long at 1:00am.   Have you ever thought of getting a security system that has video of who's at your door?   

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@MakeUpMaidn  - That is strange that someone was pounding on your door for so long at 1:00am.   Have you ever thought of getting a security system that has video of who's at your door?   

~~~~~~~

@San Antonio Gal  

THERE you are!  I've missed you!  *hugs* 

You are one of the persons/reasons I virtually stayed. Woman Happy

THANK YOU!!

I've considered a Security system, but the honest truth is, I'm below a kindergarten level of "Cell phone knowledge & acumen,"  and seems i have a mental block abt intuitively what the Cell Phone offers, let alone where to find it on the cell phone!

Thanks for this loving suggestion.

I still cant even find where I insert my name on the Cell Phone so ppl I'm calling, know it's me!

(See my two panicked "threads" in "Electronics" Forum Chat)  heh

I know, it's S*A*D!

I have a neighbor who has cameras ALLLL over her home, every square inch, included pointed at my home, so if something happens, she's sure to have a camera video.

But i highly suspect that a "Ring" or such is within my Cell phone capability.

I did see a "screw into the light socket" kind of camera system. Can be used inside or out (see below).  but I thnk it still uses a Cell Phone tho.

"Light Bulb 1080P Security Camera, Smart Light Bu lb Security Camera PTZ Dome Camera with Color Night Vision, Motion Detection, 2-Way Audio, Remote Access Support Cloud Storage & SD Card "

( $40 .... $28)  ($15 S&H) (113 Rated) (Rating Total  3.3 of 5.0)

Maybe?... It's too good to be true?  But then again, unfortunately, uses a Cell Phone.

Esteemed Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

Thank you for these Idaho threads!

Last night, finally I was able to get to bed, & sleep at a reasonable time.

At 1:15AM, someone was knocking & knocking, & pounding on my door, for at least 10-15 minutes, even tho my house was dark!

I worried it might be one of my beloved neighbors, needing help.

But I also remember this "slasher" topics on these Idaho threads.

NO WAY, NO WAY was I going to answer that door, esp since I dont have  "door peephole," (only a regular window beside the door)!  And esp after these "slasher" news stories -    Dont even care if they're perhaps only in Idaho!

And esp since I "near missed" running an errand at that VA Walmart that the employee shot/killed coworkers.

So called all my beloved neighbors, tht we look out for one another, and no one is in trouble.  But at least they're also *alerted* there was a "late night knocker" knocking on the door!

Remembering - BE CAREFUL!  

These arent the "ole days!"  And I'm not fit to run!

@MakeUpMaidn 

Can't be too careful nowadays. If in doubt, do not wait, call 911. Can't imagine anyone "pounding on your door" for 10-15 minutes. 

We live in an area that has 1 road in, the same road out. We live at the end of a Cul-de-sac, and cars have to use our driveway to turn around. Everyone here has over an acre of land, and unless they live here, most don't even know houses are back here.

I however, many years ago, got my permit to carry! I have an equalizer for anyone that has thoughts of doing anything to my property. It is always within my reach and ready to be used.

Hopefully next time, if it's the wee hours and you are expecting nobody? Forget your "beloved neighbors" and call the Police, ASAP. 👍🏻

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Same. Anyone banging on my door at 1 a.m. should know I have already been to my equalizer safe before I call the police.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's always best to be safe, but I don't think "slashers" would pound on someone's door for so long and loud enough to wake them up.  I think they would quietly sneek in. But you did the right thing to NEVER open your door under those circumstances.

But I would wonder if it was someone who needed help, perhaps someone not from your neighborhood, and would have called the police.  

What a scary experience, and glad to hear that you are safe and sound!