Esteemed Contributor

Re: Iconic Christmas Commercial Changed

This has always been my daughter's favorite Christmas commercial so I'm sad to hear it's been changed. Every time I hear it I think of her.

I guess times change and a daughter making cookies with her dad sounds sweet. I've seen the original several times already this season so I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the new one. Maybe they'll keep both!

Honored Contributor

I have not seen this newer version-had to find it online.

I doubt children will end up in therapy over this. LOL

Or adults for that matter.

Enjoyed reading about RL bell-ringers on this thread, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Hershey apparently put something out there to the tune that they thought it would be nice to pair two holiday 'traditions': Hershey kisses and baking... Whatever... I saw the commercial and the reason for their choice clearly had nothing to do with highlighting holiday baking... They did state both versions of the commercial would air... Personally, I'm not overly interested in either of them...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I just watched it on the Fox New site and I did not care for it much.  Hershey did say in the attached article about it they would continue to air both.  But they are getting a lot of complaints about the change.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I haven't seen it yet, but as a handbell ringer, I am offended.

I don't really understand, are you offended by the original commercial? What exactly offends you? 

This isn't about me being offended, it's about how I wish they would have left a tradition alone. That Hershey's commercial is a staple of the Christmas season.

@Ladybug724 If you want me to answer a question, you really should tag me or I might never see your question. 

It was a bit of a joke that I was offended by the change.  Being a handbell ringer, I would raher see then entire commercial of the bells ringing rather than having changed.  It seems everybody is offended by something these days, so I can be offended as a handbell ringer that they would mess with the bells.

Trusted Contributor

I feel that way about the new Jake from State Farm.....not about the actor, he's very likeable but I just loved the older version with the husband and wife on the phone. Now we have too many versions of the new commercial. The pizza delivery was cute.......stop it there! Especially the James Bond one and the butcher..........

This is how I amuse myself during the stay at home days  Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

This is my take on this classic commercial....it had a good run probably 20 years....it was one of my late husband (who battled oral cancer for years) favorite Christmas chocolates....at the end of his life he was eating through a tube and just watched the ad and we enjoyed it the best we could...watching the ad now is easier mentally one me than the original one....just putting it out there...don't sweat the small stuff....enjoy the season

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I must be in the minority but I like the new one. 

Esteemed Contributor

I hadn't seen it yet so I had to go looking for it.  Although I always enjoyed the original, I thought it was cute and was a nice change.

To the OP, I had to laugh at myself because in all the years I've seen/heard this commercial, I have NEVER noticed the bell/kiss sighing at the end.  I had to look up the original too.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

You would think they would leave the classics alone especially after the Folger's Coffee ad change.  "Peter Comes Home For Christmas" in 1986 was one of my all time favorites.  They changed it in 2009 to two new siblings closer in age and Twitter and other social media started a brew up about incest and such.  Even in 2015 Vanity Fair tracked down the brother in the ad to interview him about the stink the ad made.  Or should I say social media made about the ad. 

Folgers Coffee 1986 Christmas TV Commercial HD - YouTube

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."