Respected Contributor

Re: IT'S OFFICIAL, I HAVE REACHED THE STATE OF PARANOIA !

@Veneziawrote: My thought exactly. Killing an insect in case it has the virus? From some of the OP's responses to others perhaps she's just winding people up to see how they'll react.

Sorry to disappoint you but everything I said was true, no reason to lie just to see how others would react. I was simply telling what I have been doing and yes I know spraying my door and spraying a spider probably doesn't make since that's why I said maybe I should have kept it to myself. I can laugh at myself about it and I'm sure there are many others out there who are worse than me so just do what it takes to keep you and your family safe as well. Thanks.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes  Bless you heart. You opened your thread by admitting your paranoia regarding the virus. You are among many people that are dealing with it in ways that seem extreme on the outside looking in, but if that is what it takes for you to feel as if you have some control in your battle against catching the virus at a time when many of us are struggling to do just that, then do it. I cannot judge you for doing so, anymore than I would want you judging me for the precautions I take. My FAMILY laughs at me when we are in the store, saying that I "bob and weave", with exceptional "gymnastic" prowess while trying to keep appropriate social distance, and that Dr. Fauci would be proud.😊 

Obviously, there are known science based interventions, and precautions we MUST take to help prevent contracting or spreading the virus as best as we can, but the rest is left up to us. As long as this is not affecting your mental health, I see no problem with it. When this is all over, you can change the faceplate on your door.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes Paranoia is a disease.  Seems to me you’re avoiding one disease and walking into another.

When I look at where the vast majority of Covid 19 deaths or serious cases occur most are where people have been exposed for many hours or many days even.   I do sanitize when I return from excursions out of the house but nothing like you are describing.

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes It's just a stretch, but looking back, I wonder if you always had a tendency to some OCD behaviors when stressed, or feeling a lack of control, or safety. It's not that uncommon.

Frightening events like COVID can be a trigger for some to activate, or increase OCD behaviors. In this case, the pandemic is provoking a degree of justifiable paranoia among most of us. But we have to control it, recognizing what's justifiable and what's not.

I know,  because I've always leaned toward some minor OCD. Luckily not to 'germs,' but more to details and organizing. In my case, it served me well in my career.  I kept everything perfect.  All i's dotted and t's crossed. My coworkers teased me, incessantly, but also depended on my obsessive behavior to keep them together, too. But, it added to my own personal stress. OCD behaviors are exhausting. We absolutely can't control ALL things, at ALL times. We're set up to fail, if we try.

The key is, to try to trade off obsessing in a nonproductive way, to something helpful to focus on. Beginning some meditation, with a mantra that you are safe and needen't ruminate about what you can't control could help. Then jump into some other distracting activities that bring some joy. When with your daughter, this weekend, try to cut loose. Fill the visit with laughter, not foreboding.

You're going to be okay, since you're willing to process what folks are offering and you want to gain insight into these behaviors. It's those who don't recognize problems, that are in deep trouble. Have a great holiday weekend.  

Honored Contributor

When people are afraid they sometimes do things to try to control that fear. Especially when so much in the world feels so out of control, and it certainly does now.

Human psychology is a very complex thing, and we are all unique and different. No need to be so judgmental, but that's par for the course here. 

I would say in general that if it's bothering you and interfering with your life, talking to a professional can be very helpful. You won't find such help and support on these forums.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

You guys are cracking me up ! I needed that.  I even leave my mail in the mailbox for 24 hrs then disinfect the envelopes when they come in the apartment.  I also spray clorox on any package I ordered once received, then let it sit for a day before opening it and wipe the contents with a disinfectant wipe (gloves on of course). Just trying to stay safe.  Hope everyone is keeping safe as well.

Some of the strategies you take are realistic and based on scientific evidence. The mail can carry the virus. I wear a glove when I bring it in. Then I set it aside for three days. When I deglove I was my hands or use sanitizer.

The spider is not based on any evidence seen so far.

If you're concerned that the virus is getting in through your door frame, that could only happen if the spray from someone's mouth gets through openings in the trame. If that happens, the virus would die in a couple days. It's unlikely the droplets would be coming in this way. Just stay away from you door. If you have to leave, use Lysol spray to spray the area down if you have heard people in the vestibule a few hours before...if you are that worried. It's doubtful you will get infected this way because droplets fall, or land, on surfaces you touch. There is a study which found that the entryways of hospitals and businesses did have the highest levels of COVID-19 virus. Higher than hospital rooms in which COVID patients had left. The floor could have live virus for some hours. Take off your shoes or spray the soles with Lysol.

I do think you are going a bit too far. The virus coming in through your closed doorway is very unlikely. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think you are losing it. I think some of us are having a harder time getting use to this crappy new nornal. 

I have been staying in. Ordering my groceries on line. Lots of Wal Mart and Amazon orders. 

Yesterday, I had just had it with being home. 

I got around and I went to town. I went to Dollar General for a few things, it was not busy, and they had chlorox wipes, I bought one container, felt I'd won the lotto. 

Then I went to some thrift stores. Not many people out at all, mainly me and the salespeople. And I had the best day I have had in a long time. 

If you arne't getting out at all, @Goodie2shoes, if you are able just go for a short drive, if there is a store thats not too busy, think about stopping and going in. But try to get out of the house. It did me a world of good. 

We are not chickens. We cannot just stay cooped up like this. I can't do it anyway. 

Honored Contributor

I'd be more upset about the spider in the house, not that it had the virus, though.  

Trusted Contributor

The CDC has changed the guidelines and they believe the risk is very low that you will catch this from surfaces so hopefully that can give you some peace.

Also they are now saying that infection is most likely from people coughing, sneezing and talking and you would need to be close to them to have the droplets enter your mouth or nose. So just walking by an infected person is still pretty low risk.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes -

No, I don't think you are the problem or we all are the problem, I think the virus is the problem!

And I think I've past my super paranoia but it resurfaces if I go into a big grocery store which I haven't for awhile.

If I have to kill a spider, I apologize to it-so I guess you can include me along with you. 

I know I'm losing it this morning-

I turned to QVC for some "lighthearted" relief?

I had to turn one QVc channel due to the "vocal fry", then on another, saw the bathing suit and thought I would look like a cow with wings in that! 

Then the indoor outdoor animals in bright garish colors and the vendor is saying how cute. I felt like I would if in a bad dream.

Yikes! Going to take care of my little grandson-that will wake me upSmiley HappyHeart

Carry on!😱

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"