Honored Contributor

I was reconsidering the Spencer name when someone predictably had to come in with a typical icy spirit.   ms traditional has a point, and the Royals do consider every aspect of a name.  

"Spencer" could be tucked in among other names, of course, but there could be a different approach to masculinize the name "Diana."  Since the mythological Diana was, among other things, the Roman goddess of the hunt, the Sussexes could go modern and name this child "Hunter."   Somehow, I think that might be more of a stretch than Spencer, but we never know.  The Sussexes are doing things differently.

It would be a cruel injustice if all references to Diana and the Spencers are snuffed out for the sake of not bringing up bad memories.  For heaven's sake, I am sure that the name Diana itself brings dyspepsia to many in the Royal brood. 

Respected Contributor

His reaction was so sweet. They are an adorable couple.

I don't really care what they name him. It's their business, not mine.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

Re: IT'S A BOY!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

I was reconsidering the Spencer name when someone predictably had to come in with a typical icy spirit.   ms traditional has a point, and the Royals do consider every aspect of a name.  

"Spencer" could be tucked in among other names, of course, but there could be a different approach to masculinize the name "Diana."  Since the mythological Diana was, among other things, the Roman goddess of the hunt, the Sussexes could go modern and name this child "Hunter."   Somehow, I think that might be more of a stretch than Spencer, but we never know.  The Sussexes are doing things differently.

It would be a cruel injustice if all references to Diana and the Spencers are snuffed out for the sake of not bringing up bad memories.  For heaven's sake, I am sure that the name Diana itself brings dyspepsia to many in the Royal brood. 

"icy"??? @golding76 ???

Diana was incorporated into Charlotte's name as i recall. 

i am sure there are many family names on the Spencer side of historical significance that can be used. or maybe they'll wait for a girl.

i am wondering if a title will be offered (doesn't the Queen review the name before announcement anyway) -  rejected like the Princess Royal did?  it might give us a glimpse into the future direction of the Sussexes.

Honored Contributor

Not you, ms traditional.

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Not you, ms traditional.

@Goldie713 

i was thinking i was the only one who remembered that speech - i remember gasping knowing it was being broadcast around the world and that it would be one of the several things people remembered of that day.  i didn't question his upset (the Earl's), just his judgment on doing that.

i think the boys do keep in touch with some of the Spencers - they were at the wedding although not prominent.  but obviously they are closer to the Royals.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Capture.PNG

That smile just says it all.  

Lovely!!

Honored Contributor

Diana remembered in this joyous celebration. Your life mattered in so many wonderful ways. Gift of children, You legacy lives on through them. 

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@chrystaltree 

--- I always found it odd and I felt so sorry for Meghan's mother at the wedding.  So odd that not a single member of Doria's family, not a single family friend was at the wedding.  She was so alone.     

i noticed that too and was glad Charles took her under his wing.  from what i could see about her early childhood her mother's family seemed to be prominent in her upbringing as they were in a lot of pictures.

Yes, that's what makes it so odd.  Many pictures and the family was lovely, educated middle class ladies.   

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@golding76
Oh I LOVE that name choice...baby Spencer!!! That would be such a gift to the Spencer family. What a great tribute to Diana that would be.
Harry looks so thrilled! A joyous day! It WOULD be lovely to include the name "Charles" as his middle name, or one of the five names they always give the royals, as I agree, Charles was so welcoming to both Meghan and her mother Doria.

i am reminded of the stinging speech Diana's brother, a Spencer, delivered at D's funeral.  i wonder if that period is best left to history.

doesn't Meghan have any family names?  maybe Dorian  - as a variation of her mother's name.

@ms traditional 

I don't really care what they name him, BUT I do think that Dorian sounds so very handsome.

Honored Contributor

Re: IT'S A BOY!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited ]

KIttyLou,

Am in agreement with you that "Dorian" is a gorgeous name.  The downside is that it will conjure up thoughts of Dorian Gray, the character who sold his soul for eternal youth.

Is there a name with no stigma attached to it?  Probably not.

No more speculation from me.  Whatever the family chooses will be properly vetted, but I bet they fight for their choice.