Esteemed Contributor

Re: IS THERE A WAY TO SLOW DOWN THE RIPENING OF BANANAS?

I read that u should not tear apart the bananas - if u want them to not ripen as quickly. I keep them on my kitchen counter. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@goldensrbest.  Thanks for asking.  She went home from the hospital this afternoon.  Never got the full brunt of symptoms, thank God.  Her daughter, a teacher, has been very sick with nausea and severe headache.  She went to ER but they wouldn't admit her because her oxygen rate was 100%.  They did give her some medication.  She's the healthy one who eats well, exercises,  runs, is a yoga instructor....go figure.

@Kachina624  - So glad your sister doing better and hoping your niece feels better too.  I noticed your thread got poofed the other day.  

(Sorry this is OT).

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs 

@tends2dogs wrote:

I can't believe how fast they ripen and turn dark and soft.  DH has one every morning when he gets back from his walk with Willie......actually they share it.  I buy them green and within a few days.........ick!

I just dug one of those "green bags" out that I bought years ago from QVC.  Can't remember if they really worked or not......they were in the back of the drawer!  I must not have been impressed.

Any ideas or old time hints?? Woman Wink

They always work for me. My bananas have been in one for two weeks. Jlast one turning soft now.  I get them a little green.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

My friend taught me this trick ...so far it's working!!

Do not separate the bananas but cut the stem on a angle (only need to take a little off) but make sure they don't cut apart.

I bought a little greener ones on Saturday have them hanging on banana hangar and still looking good🙂🍌

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Debbie Meyer's "green bags" work for me.  IMO they do keep fruits/vegetables fresh longer.  

@kaydee50..I buy a lot of bananas and hate how they turn brown so fast.  Who is Debbie Meyer's and how can I purchase a green bag?  Appreciate your help.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

Debbie Meyer's "green bags" work for me.  IMO they do keep fruits/vegetables fresh longer.  

@kaydee50..I buy a lot of bananas and hate how they turn brown so fast.  Who is Debbie Meyer's and how can I purchase a green bag?  Appreciate your help.

I bought mine from HSN but I don't see them there anymore. They are sold on Amazon. Debbie Meyer sells a lot of different products.  Google her.

BTW, I enjoy your "quotes"!!!!

Super Contributor

Can you believe we just hit 4 pages of replies about bananas??!!  Smiley LOL  Smiley LOL

(including my own post!)  Cracks me up!

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always freeze the last few bananas since we can't eat them before they get too ripe for me....I can't even stand to look at the brown spots, etc. if you freeze them, be sure and peel them first, and I like to slice them in small chunks that will work well in the blender when I add them to a vanilla protein drink; makes it a milkshake. The grandkids love frozen bananas just mixed up in the blender with a little milk...they call it banana ice cream.