Honored Contributor

Re: IS THERE A WAY TO SLOW DOWN THE RIPENING OF BANANAS?

I'm having the same problem. I do refrigerate bananas when they are quite ripe, but I just don't like the texture after that.

I have decided to stop in-store marketing again and have signed back on to delivery. So it's going to be harder now because in person I would be some green and some that were yellow.

All the dogs we've had love bananas. Our current dog, Cali (golden), always shows up in the kitchen at breakfast time!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Put tin foil or plastic wrap over the stem ends of the bananas.  It's no miracle, but it does help!

Keep Bananas Fresh Longer (slices, Too!) : 3 Steps (with Pictures) -  Instructables

Honored Contributor

I also have the same problem with fresh tomatoes. I don't refrigerate them because it affects their flavor. Most tomatoes, though, can't last a week, The only ones I've found that can are also my favorite (Kumata). TJ's here sells them but not most supermarkets, which makes it difficult now that I've switched back to delivery.

Before the pandemic, I would go grocery shopping twice a week so had no such problems with produce.

Oh, well. Minor problems.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

Wrap the stem tips with tin foil. That should slow the process down.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always put bananas in the fridge except for the ones that aren't ripened enough. those I place in a sealed paper bag for a day or two until ripe enough then they go into the fridge.They do get black but that doesn't change they way the taste and they last a whole lot longer. I keep all of my fresh fruit in the fridge then take them out an hour before eating them. I'm not fond of eating cold fruit and prefer them to be at room temp.

Banana trivia...

Did you know that all the bananas sold in grocery stores are all identical? They are genetic clones of a single banana and have no variation in their makeup.

Super Contributor

I've tried the plastic wrap I didn't think it made a difference...

. I'll give the aluminum foil a try 

also tried a banana holder....didn't help...

i think I need to buy just a few at a time...

Respected Contributor

@Re: IS THERE A WAY TO SLOW DOWN THE RIPENING OF BANANAS?

@caroln242 That's what Jacques Pepin recommends

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest.  Thanks for asking.  She went home from the hospital this afternoon.  Never got the full brunt of symptoms, thank God.  Her daughter, a teacher, has been very sick with nausea and severe headache.  She went to ER but they wouldn't admit her because her oxygen rate was 100%.  They did give her some medication.  She's the healthy one who eats well, exercises,  runs, is a yoga instructor....go figure.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I can't believe how fast they ripen and turn dark and soft.  DH has one every morning when he gets back from his walk with Willie......actually they share it.  I buy them green and within a few days.........ick!

I just dug one of those "green bags" out that I bought years ago from QVC.  Can't remember if they really worked or not......they were in the back of the drawer!  I must not have been impressed.

Any ideas or old time hints?? Woman Wink

@tends2dogs 

Yes ... first buy them slightly green, so you don't have to use them the day purchased.  

Secondly ....   Put them in the fridge to stop ripening if they are at that perfect point.

Also .... bananas will ripen as long as they are part of the bunch.  To slow down ripening, pull them apart so they are no longer a growing bunch.  It makes a difference.

Or just buy one or two at a time.

That should do it.