Esteemed Contributor

IS THERE A WAY TO SLOW DOWN THE RIPENING OF BANANAS?

I can't believe how fast they ripen and turn dark and soft.  DH has one every morning when he gets back from his walk with Willie......actually they share it.  I buy them green and within a few days.........ick!

I just dug one of those "green bags" out that I bought years ago from QVC.  Can't remember if they really worked or not......they were in the back of the drawer!  I must not have been impressed.

Any ideas or old time hints?? Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: IS THERE A WAY TO SLOW DOWN THE RIPENING OF BANANAS?

Debbie Meyer's "green bags" work for me.  IMO they do keep fruits/vegetables fresh longer.  

Honored Contributor

I buy them on the green side, separate them (don't leave them all bunched together) and mine last up to a week.  

Honored Contributor

They do turn quickly, willie is a old english, funny story our old english was halley,she loved bananas, i would go into a  room about 3 rooms away ,take one with me ,she had no idea i had one,start to peel it,here she would come.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50   Would I then put them in the refrigerator in the bag or keep out on the counter?  TIA

Super Contributor

Keep them in the refrigerator.  The skins turn dark but the fruit inside stays firm and fresh.

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

I have one of those "trees" that I hang the banana ons and keep it on the counter.  

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

They do turn quickly, willie is a old english, funny story our old english was halley,she loved bananas, i would go into a  room about 3 rooms away ,take one with me ,she had no idea i had one,start to peel it,here she would come.

I never knew you had and OES, @goldensrbest .  How long did yours live?  They truely are clowns.  He makes me laugh everyday........such joy.  He sits and waits for DH to give him his "share" of the banana.  

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest Bananas have a strong odor - at least to me - - and a dog's smelling ability is thousands of times better than humans.

That's why dogs are used in drug trafficking.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

I never knew you had and OES, @goldensrbest .  How long did yours live?  They truely are clowns.  He makes me laugh everyday........such joy.  He sits and waits for DH to give him his "share" of the banana.  

I told you about her  before, she was 10, i was brushing her ,did it every day, and felt a large hard  bump inside one of her back legs, she had bone cancer,  died a few months later.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.