Respected Contributor

Re: IRS sent stimulus money to a non-U.S. citizen from u.K.

hckynut wrote:
chickenbone wrote:

California giving 75 million to illegals.

chickenbone 

Heard half is state money. Guess it's up to the people in that state to let their head know how they feel.

hckynut(john)

California gov. sued over plan to give $75 million in coronavirus aid to undocumented immigrants. Of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit, one is an immigrant from El Salvador who is now a U.S. citizen.

"This is taxpayer money that may only be appropriated by the legislative branch. This is not a slush fund for the governor to spend as he sees fit,” a San Francisco attorney and chief executive officer for the Center for American Liberty, said in a written statement. “At a time when law-abiding Californians are crushed by unemployment, housing issues, business closures and massive limitations on our normal lives, the Governor is doing an end-run around the legal guardrails in place.”

Valued Contributor

I have come to think the entire stimulus program is a joke. The mis-information all along from the government has been ridiculous. I'm glad it has worked for some people though. I retired in 2018. While my salary was nowhere near the cutoff for the $1200 payment, I had disbursements from IRA's needed to buy my condo that pushed it past the $75K cutoff, but under $99K. I had to pay tax in 2018, but did not have to file a 2019 return. I followed all the guidelines on the 'Get My Payment' website, but have received nothing while others around me have. I now expect to get nothing.

Honored Contributor

@Marp    As they used to say of computers, which still applies: "Garbage in, garbage out".

The whole stimulus bill was written sloppily with little regard for potential fraud or abuse, then the appointed "watchdog" was removed.  Corruption runs rampant.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Marp    As they used to say of computers, which still applies: "Garbage in, garbage out".

The whole stimulus bill was written sloppily with little regard for potential fraud or abuse, then the appointed "watchdog" was removed.  Corruption runs rampant.

Yes, @Kachina624, GIGO is alive and well and rampant.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut You mean they work?Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FrostyBabe1 , I know that you lnow that she qualifies but a lot of people would believe that since she isn´t a US Citizen. that she does not qualify.

I agree with you. I know you didn´t ask if she qualifies.

Respected Contributor

Their goal was to get the money out quickly, so it was not perfect and mistakes were made, like sending it to some deceased people.   A lot of folks did receive their payment, but some have not, including my 90 year old FIL.  Hopefully, those people will receive it soon.  I've heard that the IRS's technology is out of date and their systems need updating.  To be honest, I was very surprised that things didn't turn out worse!

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

Let me see if I understand the problem correctly.

She has an American social security number.

She filed an American federal tax return.

She has an American bank account.

There is no place on a federal tax return where one certifies they are an American citizen.

A computer followed its instructions and issued a stimulus check based on the recipient having an American social security number, filing an American federal tax return, having an American bank account to receive refunds.

Guess certifying the taxpayer is an American citizen on tax returns will be the answer.  (see original census data proposal and subsequent court ruling)

@Marp 

not everyone living here legally is an american citizen.

@sunshine45,  of course not but the computers issuing the checks don't know if someone is a citizen or not, is legal or not, is alive or not.  They only know to do what they have been told to do which is to issue checks under particular criteria.  If the criteria for issuing a check is met the computer will issue it whether the individual is entitled to a check or not.

@Marp 

nothing is foolproof in regards to what the government does or doesnt do......then it is up to the person involved to "do the right thing." some may, some may not.

who is more at fault? the government or the person who doesnt return the money?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

Let me see if I understand the problem correctly.

She has an American social security number.

She filed an American federal tax return.

She has an American bank account.

There is no place on a federal tax return where one certifies they are an American citizen.

A computer followed its instructions and issued a stimulus check based on the recipient having an American social security number, filing an American federal tax return, having an American bank account to receive refunds.

Guess certifying the taxpayer is an American citizen on tax returns will be the answer.  (see original census data proposal and subsequent court ruling)

@Marp 

not everyone living here legally is an american citizen.

@sunshine45,  of course not but the computers issuing the checks don't know if someone is a citizen or not, is legal or not, is alive or not.  They only know to do what they have been told to do which is to issue checks under particular criteria.  If the criteria for issuing a check is met the computer will issue it whether the individual is entitled to a check or not.

@Marp 

nothing is foolproof in regards to what the government does or doesnt do......then it is up to the person involved to "do the right thing." some may, some may not.

who is more at fault? the government or the person who doesnt return the money?

@sunshine45,  in regard to the woman in the cited article it appears there is no fault.

Elizabeth worked for several years in New York under an E-2 investor visa as a communications consultant. She had a Social Security number and paid taxes, as required under the conditions of her visa. In 2018, she earned $13,000 over a few months before returning to Britain. Had she worked for the rest of the year, her annual income would have put her beyond the $99,000 individual cap for a stimulus payment.

Under the Cares Act, U.S. citizens, permanent residents and qualifying resident aliens, including those on the E-2 visas who meet the IRS’s “substantial presence test” for the calendar year, are eligible for stimulus payments if their adjusted gross income falls under certain limits.

Elizabeth herself only said that she didn't deserve the money not that she was not entitled to it unless in 2018 she did not meet the substantial residency requirement.  However, the article also states, "Based on the length of time she was in the U.S. during 2018, on the advice of her tax professional Elizabeth filed a 1040 federal return and received a $300 refund, which was deposited into a U.S. bank account that she has kept open."

That said, I'm not going to pretend to understand the nuances of the Cares Act any more than the authors understand it.  Is she truly entitled to it, on the surface it looks like she is.  Looking in depth I have no idea.

As to fault I do not have enough information and facts to assign blame.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp 

the way i see it, she seems to be entitled to the money.....maybe. Smiley Wink

if she feels she is not, then it is not difficult to return the money if she desires.

addresses have been posted for those that need to return money.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein