Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: IRS Scammers Arrested

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva

He may be a little behind with how much has been stolen, but it reports the fact that Seniors are being targeted and how.

Respected Contributor

There are WAY more than 5 people doing this..Mainly because it works!

Sad, but true...

Respected Contributor
What's the difference who is allegedly being targeted? All sorts of people have fallen prey to this scam. I just wish people wouldn't engage them on the phone at all
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

He may be a little behind with how much has been stolen, but it reports the fact that Seniors are being targeted and how.

Hi @Noel7

Man I love playing my game with these morons, yes morons/Schuster's any many other names I cannot say here. Getting into some legalize with them was really a hoot for me.

Now you know me! I figure the longer I tie up their wasted time, maybe, just maybe, they would prey on few old fogies like myself. Between those IRS scams and the ones they say they work for Microsoft and to go immediately to my computer? You can imagine the fun I have with them. Unfortunately for me, they hang up before I can really get on my roll?

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@bri20

I love engaging them. I act just gullible enough to be "the reeler", not "the reelie", to make them thing they have their fish. Then my real fun begins. I don't feel not answering deters them much, and I don't want to pass up some fun.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:
What's the difference who is allegedly being targeted? All sorts of people have fallen prey to this scam. I just wish people wouldn't engage them on the phone at all

@bri20

There's a big difference.  Seniors as a group are the most vulnerable, others may come into play but Seniors are the target group BECAUSE they are vulnerable.

What that means is that Seniors need to be informed, told about it, have it explained that the IRS does not call people by telephone, it's a scam. 

Our local news repeats the warnings and gives updates at least once a week, trying to spread the word.

Several people here were in denial that Seniors are targeted and they aren't the only ones who think that.  Tell your older family members if you have them.  That way they not only won't fall for it, they will have no reason to get frightened.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva

Hi @Noel7

Man I love playing my game with these morons, yes morons/Schuster's any many other names I cannot say here. Getting into some legalize with them was really a hoot for me.

Now you know me! I figure the longer I tie up their wasted time, maybe, just maybe, they would prey on few old fogies like myself. Between those IRS scams and the ones they say they work for Microsoft and to go immediately to my computer? You can imagine the fun I have with them. Unfortunately for me, they hang up before I can really get on my roll?

hnj

@hckynut

Hi John, yes, I know you Woman Very Happy

I did basically the same thing, I'm sure he heard the sarcasm in my voice.

Respected Contributor

The scammers are using computer programs to dial phone numbers.  The computer programs do not know who is a senior or who isn't.  Seniors will pick up the phone and talk to these scammers more than any other age group. 

Anybody younger will not bother with these types of calls - either they would hang up immediately and not fool around with them or they wouldn't answer the phone in the first place. 

They just want someone to answer the phone and get scared enough to send them money.

Trusted Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

The scammers are using computer programs to dial phone numbers.  The computer programs do not know who is a senior or who isn't.  Seniors will pick up the phone and talk to these scammers more than any other age group. 

Anybody younger will not bother with these types of calls - either they would hang up immediately and not fool around with them or they wouldn't answer the phone in the first place. 

They just want someone to answer the phone and get scared enough to send them money.

This is what the news reporter said.  Many seniors answer their phones whenever it rings.

Many of these calls are recordings giving you a number to call.  How do you engage a recording?

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

@bri20

The experts disagree with you. 

The bad guys can get any kind of list they want.  When my CC was hacked, my bank not only took care of it, they investigated.  The told me they believed my card and name came from a list of at the the time newly minted credit cards.  From people who have access, names an numbers sold online on the dark web.

Considering that, it would be easy to get lists of the elderly.  AARP membership, census records.  Heck, you can go online and get names, addresses and AGES of people.