Honored Contributor

My mother passed away January 2020. My sister and I filed tax returns for my mother for 2019 (she was alive) and 2020 ( for one month in 2020). We haven't gotten the checks yet, the accountant has been working on it. My sister got a call today from the accountant saying one check went out September 2021, the other March 2022. We have not received either of them. The checks may have been delivered to the house we sold over a year ago (although I'm sure we didn't put that address on the return). The accountant even insinuated maybe I got the checks and kept them, my sister told her I would never do that. Now they have to put a trace on the checks, I can't see a bank cashing the checks if someone took them as it is made out to my mother's estate. Has anyone experienced this?

Esteemed Contributor

Have you checked the bank account where your mother's returns were usually deposited?If that isn't the answer, contact your congressional representative via phone ( fastest way) and find out what happened to those checks.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Have you checked the bank account where your mother's returns were usually deposited?If that isn't the answer, contact your congressional representative via phone ( fastest way) and find out what happened to those checks.

@patbz we closed out her accounts, we have an estate account in her name. I just looked to see if the funds were deposited directly ( although we stated to mail the check to my sister) the funds aren't there. 

Trusted Contributor

I think the only way someone could possibly negotiate that check is if they deposited the entire thing, like through an ATM, or in a deposit with other checks where it went unnoticed. Honestly, as annoying as it is, I'd be on the phone with the IRS immediately. The accountant implying that maybe you already had it sends up red flags for me. He should be the one looking into it not accusing you. If the check was negotiated they should be able to get some information.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@patbz wrote:

@patbz we closed out her accounts, we have an estate account in her name. I just looked to see if the funds were deposited directly ( although we stated to mail the check to my sister) the funds aren't there. 

@Jordan2  were either you or sister given a copy of the tax returns? If not the accountant can check to see what address they were sent to.

Isn't that something? Why would the accountant say something like that to your sister? Some people.

Regular Contributor

I hate to tell you this now but you should have never closed your mothers account for at least one year after her death. You also should have had the IRS check deposited into her account (unless you are not a signator on your mothers account), then you had no choice but to do it the way you did! Good luck!

Respected Contributor

My Mom passed in May 2019. She had a trust, so it didn't go through probate. Now, 3 years later, her estate is still not settled. Businesses in other states and in Canada, have prolonged the already drawn out process. We do have refunds from the IRS for taxes but they took forever to get to us. We still have mail forwarded from her old address. 

I'm convinced it is a conspiracy theory, being perpetrated employees who have been in their positions far too long! You can't make up some of the stuff that has happened. 

I feel your pain!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   Can you file a police report?  Fire the accountant?  Have the police invistigate the accountant?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

My Mom passed in May 2019. She had a trust, so it didn't go through probate. Now, 3 years later, her estate is still not settled. Businesses in other states and in Canada, have prolonged the already drawn out process. We do have refunds from the IRS for taxes but they took forever to get to us. We still have mail forwarded from her old address. 

I'm convinced it is a conspiracy theory, being perpetrated employees who have been in their positions far too long! You can't make up some of the stuff that has happened. 

I feel your pain!

@Jacie because of COVID the courts were shut down and it set us back for at least a year. We needed something from the courts and it prolonged us opening an estate account. My mom had about 5 or so accounts (with Fidelity and others), we had to jump through hoops to get money that was due us as beneficiaries of the accounts.

Respected Contributor

Congressional Representative?!? Yeah, i dont think that would be the correct path. The IRS would be more informative.