Honored Contributor

IRMA is now a Cat 5 with winds at 180 MPH!!!!!

Whoa!!!!

Untitled.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: IRMA is now a Cat 5 with winds at 180 MPH!!!!!

Almost everybody is keeping an eye on where she is going.

Respected Contributor

I read this morning that storms that have female names are more destructive than those with male names.  Not sure if that's true.  I hope by the time Irma gets here she settles down.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winkk wrote:

I read this morning that storms that have female names are more destructive than those with male names.  Not sure if that's true.  I hope by the time Irma gets here she settles down.

@Winkk  LOL...I wouldn't count on that train of thought...

Check out Hurricane Andrew that hit Miami in 1992...or How about Hugo...Ivan, Charley...I could go on Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

winkk, I thought I recalled that male and female names alternate in each year's list, and I found online that I recalled this correctly.  (Thank heavens for small wonders.)   Here is what I just read:

There is a predetermined list of storm names per region. The names go alphabetically, and alternate between male and female names. Thus exactly 50% of storms have female names. 

If -- this is a big if -- more actual hurricanes recently have had female names, this is merely coincidence. 

The list rotates and is recycled every six years. For example, the 2012 list will be re-used in 2018.

Esteemed Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

I wonder how the people who went through hurricane Andrew and Harvey feel about that.

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers for all the path. Its hard for me to imagine a hurricane being much worse than Harvey and Katrina. I mean, what kind of damage are we talking about if Harvey hit at a 4 and Irma does hit at a cat 5?

Honored Contributor

Rising water levels and warmer temps are to blame for severe storms. Count on more to come. This is only the beginning of the hurricane season.

Honored Contributor

The stores need to step up their game. They need to haul in more supplies like never before.  They don't seem to be keeping up right now. 

Respected Contributor

For all my Florida friends.........I hope it take a sudden, hard turn to the east.

Laura loves cats!