Esteemed Contributor

Re: INSURANCE CLAIMS ~ WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR EXPERIENCE? GOOD OR HORROR STORY?

[ Edited ]

USAA only had a phone contact but they are always very responsive and sent out a claims adjuster promptly.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

When we shopped around, I looked for one that provided a phone number and physical office for the agent. You'll notice for some of the big compaines, the phone number to call is the same whether you in Maine or Missouri. The people taking calls were terrible (I had to point out to them that an agent closed up shop) so we found a local agent and visited the office when we changed companies. It's one of the big insurance companies, but I told them I will only talk to the local person and they were fine with that.

@AuntG    Not necessarily.  USAA that @patbz   mentioned has no local offices but they are wonderful.  I've not had the catastrophes she has, but they've handled my few claims swiftly and fairly.  The fact that they're non-profit may have something to do with it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Farm Bureau has provided the most comprehensive insurance (over the years) and most reliable service for rental properties. They are not inexpensive in premiums, but they are professional and prompt if and when an emergency occurs.

That's what my occupants and I need most when disaster strikes. At that point, cost of insurance is not important; people's safety, health and quick relocation is far more important (if necessary). Farm Bureau addresses all necessary issues.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Isn't USAA insurance for military families?

Why would you mention it and suggest it when it is not available to everyone?

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

USAA only had a phone contact but they are always very responsive and sent out a claims adjuster promptly.

@patbz USAA now has an app we used to report a new claim, communicate with the adjuster, upload estimates, etc. We had a kitchen leak in August, they are wonderful, I agree. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

As an option for those who qualify?

Nothing wrong with that.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Farm Bureau has provided the most comprehensive insurance (over the years) and most reliable service for rental properties. They are not inexpensive in premiums, but they are professional and prompt if and when an emergency occurs.

That's what my occupants and I need most when disaster strikes. At that point, cost of insurance is not important; people's safety, health and quick relocation is far more important (if necessary). Farm Bureau addresses all necessary issues.  

@BirkiLady 

I have to agree with Farm Bureau, we've had them for about 30 years for cars, homes, flood insurance, etc. Never had a bad experience with them.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

As an option for those who qualify?

Nothing wrong with that.

True, but would be nice to mention that upfront.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie :  Actually, many people who use USAA are not directly military; both my sons, as well as me, DH, and DIL have never been In the military.  My father, who died in 1998 was the military member (both in Marines prior to WWII and as a Navy Officer during the war and later in the Reserves).  They used to only insure officers but that was 40 years ago.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs 

Check out jdpower.com for ratings on insurance companies.  Amica and USAA have generally ranked at the top.

We've been with USAA for many decades (for auto and home insurance) and are very satisfied with the claims process and resolution-especially when we had teenage boys getting into their share of little fender benders.  And when my beloved Cadillac was getting banged up every which way by other people, like an automotive magnet for mayhem.

Amica might be a good option to explore if you don't qualify for USAA coverage.