Honored Contributor

Re: IN HONOR OF MOTHER'S DAY......

[ Edited ]

My mother grew up strong, so she always taught her children not to take any unacceptable behavior from anyone.  Really.  Her spirit, I believe, saved my soul and my life during my corrosive first marriage.   I knew something was wrong and dangerous to me and spoke up and fought back at a time when that it was unusual, especially in my ethnic group.  God forbid anybody divorce!

The second thing my mother taught us was to have compassion.  As a young child, I made a mean comment about someone.  I do not remember who it was or what I said, but Mama said to me, "What makes you think you are better than that person?  Never criticize others for what cannot be helped."  Believe me, she never liked when others made fun of people who were in need or ill or infirmed.

And she always set a splendid example by helping others in need.  To rephrase a common saying, my mother would literally give someone the gold bracelet off her arm if that person liked it quite a bit. 

I need to add that she was FEARLESS.  Really, one of the strongest women I ever encountered.

Honored Contributor

My parents rarely spoke to me. They thought that's what school teachers are for.     My father once told me to buy ONLY a car with a V-8 engine, though................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi   I think so many people just don't know how to parent, they're too young, too busy, etc.  That must have been so hard on you when you were growing up, I'm sorry. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

What's the best advice your Mother ever gave you?

My mother gave me so much good advice and to be honest, I can't remember which was the best.  All of her advice was spot on.  Haven't seen you posting lately, you okay?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam