Respected Contributor

IN GENERAL ORDERING ONLINE FROM COMPANIES

In general, when trying to order from Walgreen's, CVS, or where else, it frequently mentions this item is not available online but check your local store.

What then does an elderly senior do when they are told it is best for them to stay at home? How do they get things. They can not venture into the store and be in contact with others.

It is annoying. The demand is high for everything but it is most frustrating when it may be in a store but not online. It might be said it would be better for people to ask others to check the store for the items but what happens when the scenario is such there is no one they can ask to do so.

It is not always fair to assume the individual should have prepared in advanced. There is only so much some people are able to do, and have a budget to do it with.

The situation is shameful and has concerned me to write a letter to Walgreen's, CVS, and so on concerning the matter. I doubt I will receive a response from any company but I had to react to the circumstance and not sit by and say nothing.

I wonder if others have run into the same situation and how they are able to cope. This is a stress factor for some people and only adds to their health concerns.

Honored Contributor

Re: IN GENERAL ORDERING ONLINE FROM COMPANIES

@chiclets wrote:

In general, when trying to order from Walgreen's, CVS, or where else, it frequently mentions this item is not available online but check your local store.

What then does an elderly senior do when they are told it is best for them to stay at home? How do they get things. They can not venture into the store and be in contact with others.

It is annoying. The demand is high for everything but it is most frustrating when it may be in a store but not online. It might be said it would be better for people to ask others to check the store for the items but what happens when the scenario is such there is no one they can ask to do so.

It is not always fair to assume the individual should have prepared in advanced. There is only so much some people are able to do, and have a budget to do it with.

The situation is shameful and has concerned me to write a letter to Walgreen's, CVS, and so on concerning the matter. I doubt I will receive a response from any company but I had to react to the circumstance and not sit by and say nothing.

I wonder if others have run into the same situation and how they are able to cope. This is a stress factor for some people and only adds to their health concerns.

They have been doing this for two weeks but they might be forced to stop doing this. 

Honored Contributor

I'm 72 and in WA state. I can come and go but stay home except for a couple of necessary errands.

Unless martial law is declared for those being told to stay home, I say go get your groceries and get whatever you need. They can't arrest you for getting the necessities of life.

Honored Contributor

I ordered something on Saturday that is normally a two day delivery.  I haven't even gotten the ship notification yet.  And it's a small business.  Nothing on their website that they are delayed but if they are it would be nice to know.  Still being patient.  

Respected Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

@chiclets  Most likely when it says check your local stores these items are not in the stores. That has been my experience. If it says limited availability it is out of stock.  It's hit or miss on some items.  Try to find a neighbor or family member to take your list when they go to the store and check for you. Where I live there is something called Nextdoor for neighborhoods on the internet. People are offering to run errands and shop for those who can't get out.  Check with Senior Citizens or your church or place of worship. There are good people out there willing to help but you have to ask for help.  That's the best advice I've got.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I'm 72 and in WA state. I can come and go but stay home except for a couple of necessary errands.

Unless martial law is declared for those being told to stay home, I say go get your groceries and get whatever you need. They can't arrest you for getting the necessities of life.

@Love my grandkids 

I totally agree with your above post. To me that was made pretty clear in statements I heard from the CDC, and the Surgeon General.  l am old(80+) and am going about my business as usual.  Yes, I have Heart Disease and have had several Respiratory issues, including Pneumonia 3 times, and deadly Pulmonary Embolisms on 2 different occasion's.

Nobody has told me I can't go to the store or any other place of business that is open. My plan is to continue to follow the safest practices mentioned by sources I trust, and go about living my life.

I am thinking that many don't fully understand the reasoning behind our President announcing a National Emergency. Marshall Law it is not.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe it would be best if I clarified my post.

Marshall Law was never mentioned.

Seniors were told it would be best for them not to venture out.  I was at fault/wrong for saying  they could not venture out and be in contact with others. My delivery was wrong. I apologize for the incorrect statement.

The issue was items not available for buying online but only in stores. How are any of us expected not to go out when this is the scenario. This issue is an issue for many seniors. Many are afraid due to their health, they are scared, they listen to what was said about not going out and that staying home was best for them.

The circumstances send mixed messages. Buying online was mentioned by the media as being the best source to do shopping.

Yes anyone can go out and shop.