Honored Contributor

Re: IMPORTANT. OUTBREAK finally solved. 652 people sick from raw onions due to Salmonella Oranienbur

@phoenixbrd @Are you in Phoenix? So far, there are no cases detected there. 

Honored Contributor

Re: IMPORTANT. OUTBREAK finally solved. 652 people sick from raw onions due to Salmonella Oranienbur

1ABF8C43-D293-4636-B78A-D6A0FB085953.jpeg76B8BF7F-C1CC-4F76-B8B9-48C1FACE0B3A.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D  No, we are in a state with reported cases.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D....calling Costco tomorrow.....  just a precautionary measure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D   Whew! I guess I don't need to be that careful. I purchase organic onions and other veggies and never eat raw onions. I assume cooking the onions kills any of the bacteria.

if we're eating in restaurants or bringing in food, how do we know where THEIR onions are purchased?

Thanks for the thread and info.

Respected Contributor

I just caught the tail end of this story on the morning news (could only tell that onions were involved) and hoped that you would post about it. Thanks, Mindy! 

Valued Contributor

Vidalia onions come from Georgia . Those are my favorite .

Honored Contributor

Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) is required on produce, not just dairy and meat.

I see labels on everything and of course once in a while a label may fall off but the rest of the display is labeled.

It would be helpful if consumers knew which stores ended up with these onions, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I have one whole onion in my fridge.  I'm pretty sure it has a sticker on it so I will have to check.  If not, I'm tossing it.  I'm not going to worry calling the store over one onion. 

I just finished an onion and everything was fine but I have no idea where it came from.     

Honored Contributor

I wish they would issue a report about where these tainted things have come from for the last, say 15 years.  It might let the public see a pattern of neglect that we aren't aware of.

It has happened so very often, especially with the Rmaine lettuce thing that suddenly became a non issue when covid appeared.  

Any I think it happens WAY more than we know. I just can't eat raw salads any more much, and I only buy iceberg lettuce once in awhile--and peel off most of the outside and worry about that.  

We have only bought organic produce when we can get it for probably six years at least.  But now we can't always get it.