Honored Contributor

Re: IHOP Announces Name Change to 'IHOB'

I've been reading about this on another board yesterday, and one thing I saw was that the IHOP folks replied on twitter about the 'breakfast' guess and they said - nope!   

Honored Contributor

If the 'b' stands for 'breakfast,' does that mean they won't serve lunch and dinner?!  Woman Surprised

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Doubt very many are "flipping out" over the name change. IHOP has not kept up with the times, has a dated concept, and is trying to stay relevant...we used to eat there many years ago, but now the pancakes look unappealing with gobs of sugary,unhealthy stuff all over them....no thanks.

If I had to guess, I think the B could likely be for biscuits, since that seems to be the new trend now....restaurants are building their food around a theme of biscuits, whether it is breakfast, lunch , or dinner.

Since their food is terrible and service even worse, we won't be eating there anyway.

Honored Contributor

We will go to Cracker Barrel if we want breakfast at a restaurant....or a local Mexican one that serves migas...IHOP hasn't been on our radar in decades.
Honored Contributor

When I read that this morning I immediately thought of Mushmouth from the Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids cartoon.  Mushmouth tended to end most words with the letter B.

For some reason, I found the IHOB announcement funny.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

The next press release will be that IHOB is filing for bankruptcy.

Honored Contributor

Bagels... Smiley Wink

Interesting because IHOP acquired Appleby's and their stock is up... Still think this is some kind of a gimmick... and it would certainly seem to be garnering publicity. There have been no recent trademark filings for 'ihob', by the way...

Surely, they'll never go down in the annals of fabulous food, but the one near me is clean and the service is decent. The food, while not stellar, is tasty most of the time and the menu broad enough to find something one might like. I go there infrequently, usually with my mom, who enjoys their breakfast offerings... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I keep going back to thinking that the 'b' thing is just the 'flipping' of the 'p' and there's something in that, rather than an actual 'b' word.

Honored Contributor

They have brand recognition, isn't it risky to make a change now?

Esteemed Contributor

@Lapdog wrote:

I think the change to a lower case b is significant.  I just not know what. 

I do not think it is breakfast, as that seems too limiting to me.

I agree. "Breakfast" may be too obvious, and the lower case b caught my eye too.  I wonder if that's relevant or just intended to look cute on the logo.

I assume that IHOP is trying to let people know that they serve far more than pancakes and far more than just breakfast.  I don't think the new name is necessarily International House of b___.   The announcement indicates that it's a new name, not that just the last word will change. Maybe yes, maybe no.

I've been to many IHOPs in many different states, and they've all been really good - excellent service and good, basic food too.  I like the name IHOP because I'll always think of it as a pancake house, but I'll support them no matter what it's called.