Super Contributor

Re: IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE WINDOWS 10 FORCED INSTALL...

This kind of mess is one reason we switched to Apple.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chloe's Mom - One thing I do miss from ATT is the yahoo.att.com home page I used for webmail.   I would read some of the news pieces and the fluff junk, plus it had my local weather.

Charter doesn't have a home page like that.  It's just the regular charter website.   

I'm finding myself going to att.yahoo.com on one window just to see the news and weather type stuff.  Smiley Happy     I don't miss the craptacular Uverse service at all and it's too bad that, last month, when I called with some questions they gave me one of those 'account retention' guys and he was a total jerk.   I mentioned that to the lady I talked to today (very nice lady!) and that aside from the wonky, unstable service that often cut out, he was the last straw in my decision to quit ATT.

Respected Contributor

I did get a little chuckle from that "submarine" mention, @ROMARY !Woman LOLHeart

I'll look forward to your reaction...especially after you do the computer cleanup I recommended.  You'll be "faster than a speeding bullet", you will!Woman Wink

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got sick and tired of Microsoft nagging me with Win10 scheduling popups. I am happy with Win7. If I ever want Win10, my position is "Don't call me, I'll call you!" Microsoft is alienating me and many other users with their aggressiveness and underhanded tactics.

I was getting the MS nag screens 3 or 4 times a week by the first week in April. I researched the GWX progam, but after researching other options I decided to use a program called Never 10. It is a program that blocks the Win10 nag screens and disables Win10 if Microsoft tries to sneak/ force a Win10 download onto your computer.

Never 10 is a free download from (put www in front) grc.com/never10.htm. The program was developed by Steve Gibson of Gibson Research Corporation. He is well known and respected in the tech communty. I downloaded Never 10 on April 24, and it killed the nag screens. Also my computer immediately started running faster. This made it obvious that Microsoft was clogging up my operating system with their [bleeping] Win10 stuff. I had already read some articles saying that MS downloaded Win10 files onto our computers without our knowledge or permission, in anticipation that we would want to install it.

You can uninstall Never10 easily if you change your mind and want to install Win10. Gibson explains it on the website.

Honored Contributor

For anyone that is interested and hasn't gotten the forced update, the update that puts the icon on your task bar telling you that it's coming and to reserve yours, is KB3035583.  You can uninstall that update.  

If it shows up again in your list of updates you can hide it so it won't install.

Respected Contributor

Hi @leafycritter

I looked at  Never 10 and GWX Control Panel both before deciding which to use.  It's a choice, of course, but there have been several articles comparing the two (one of which I've linked). 

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3049165/microsoft-windows/steve-gibsons-never10-vs-josh-mayfields-g...

Options are always good.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The "FIX" I'm referring to in this thread is a program that automatically blocks the "three" potential updates and cleans out the directories added as well in Windows 7 and one in Windows 8 responsible for installing Win 10, @CelticCrafter. GWX Control Panel also removes any Win 10 related files left by MS.

Yes, the manual process does work short-term, if you choose to do it that way.  MS has stepped up its aggressive approach so you'll be seeing the install attempts more often now.   They have downloaded Win 10 to computers in readiness for the Update installs so you may want to check yours, especially if you've noticed a slow-down in your operations.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

CelticCrafter wrote:

For anyone that is interested and hasn't gotten the forced update, the update that puts the icon on your task bar telling you that it's coming and to reserve yours, is KB3035583.  You can uninstall that update.  

If it shows up again in your list of updates you can hide it so it won't install.

I've found several 'get ready for 10' updates, but this one seems the most insidious.   Even though I have been hiding it for many months, it keeps coming back.   I saw it again today on this computer.

I've never had a 'hidden' update come back before this!   I'd estimate that I've seen it come back for me at least 5-7 times at this point.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Chloe's Mom - One thing I do miss from ATT is the yahoo.att.com home page I used for webmail.   I would read some of the news pieces and the fluff junk, plus it had my local weather.

Charter doesn't have a home page like that.  It's just the regular charter website.   

I'm finding myself going to att.yahoo.com on one window just to see the news and weather type stuff.  Smiley Happy     I don't miss the craptacular Uverse service at all and it's too bad that, last month, when I called with some questions they gave me one of those 'account retention' guys and he was a total jerk.   I mentioned that to the lady I talked to today (very nice lady!) and that aside from the wonky, unstable service that often cut out, he was the last straw in my decision to quit ATT.

@chickenbutt customer service wise I actually have had a better experience with AT&T but after leaving me two messages about retaining my services we couldn't agree on a price.

Comcast is their ususal nightmare.  I had to crawl under where I house my electronics to unplug a bunch of stuff that Comcast guy #1 just unpluged at the unit and not the outlet and then I accidently reset the Comcast equipment . . . . I just hope I am done with electronics for a bit as this has been a very looooooooooooong week for me.  Thanks to you CB, @Gokat and everyone else that has been so  incredibly helpful on this thread as I am so thrilled with how fast my laptop is now . . . thank you my friends!

Honored Contributor

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to all that contributed on this thread!

What a lovely start to my day that I do not have to fight off Windows 10 anymore! . . . Smiley Happy