Honored Contributor

Re: IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE WINDOWS 10 FORCED INSTALL...

I have done everything recommended by @Gokat to my laptop.  All is well and computer running better than ever (CC Cleaner).  I am still doing a bit of research about the heavy-handed tactic being used by MS (I have a conspiracy theory, but may leave this to later?)

Here is my latest finding:

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/IF-YOU-DO-NOT-WANT-THE-WINDOWS-10-FORCED-INSTALL/m-p/2814...

Twitter is another source I keep checking, and it is rife with people cursing WIN 10.  I feel sorry for people who were taken advantage of.

Here is my theory:

Remember the flack over the govt needing to access the iphone?  I am thinking that the tech companies got nervous about (or were ordered to) make their OS systems transparent... big brother is watching? (PS -- I have nothing to hide!!!)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

'Things like this' start small..........And, then, before we know it, we'll be sitting in our automatically driven cars, ending up at a destination that some company decided was best for us............'Just wait and see'........ (said in a humorous way, and not necessarily a c*nspiracy theory, but time will tell.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

First of all, thank you for recommending GWX.  There are several websites that offer it, one of them being a military submarine site (lol).   The site that seems 'reliable',( just looking at it), is Softpedia.   (I can't find an official GWX website.)  So, I'll wait and see.  .......... Also, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if retail companies are wondering why their sales have probably declined a bit.........since so many people (like me, not tec-savvy) everywhere are most likely affected by their now very, very slow computers, and they are probably just shutting them down and walking away for a long while (as I have been doing, usually a half hour each time).   Just a thought, and hoping that when companies finally 'figure it out', they might pressure MS to stop literally-forcing W10 on some of their W7, W8, etc. customers.  Right?   

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Again, a big thank you to GoKat and others. Heart  As far-fetched as it sounds, many of the folks around here just don't have adult children living fairly nearby to call (and bother), asking to fix their suddenly very slow laptops.  So, a visit to their local geek/tech repair shop is usually the solution for them.  Which, in turn, takes a week or more, not to mention cost and frustration.  

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY

The site where the GWX Control Panel originates is "Ultimate Outsider" .  That's where I downloaded from so I recommend that one.  When I Google that one comes up first.Woman Wink

Once you've downloaded the software, you'll be blocking all the pesky Win 10 files from installing.  You should then run a "cleaner".  I use CC Cleaner (freebie that can be downloaded by Googling it, if you don't already have it).   Also, there is a "Register Cleaner" within the CC Cleaner program.  You should run that as well.  MS leaves behind files that you don't need/want so that will clean them off for you.  HTH's 

FYI, there should potentially be an end in sight for those of us wishing to hold off on Windows 10.  MS is only offering it free until July.  After that, standalone versions will come with a price tag.  Hopefully it will also mark the end of the aggressive techniques.Woman Happy 

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Honored Contributor

Thank you, GoKat !   I'm going to copy your info.  Glad I asked, because 'who knows' which site that offers GWX is safe, right?  Have a nice day, and I'll update you later on when I have time to install GWX.   BTW, did you get a laugh from the submarine site that I mentioned?  (lol) 

Respected Contributor

Hi @PINKdogWOOD

MS is causing quite a stir in computerland...and will continue this until at least July 29 when Win 10 standalone versions will come with a price tag.

If you look upthread to my post to @ROMARY 1 , you'll see that I've set out the method (both manual and with the GWX Control Panel program I am currently using to automatically block all the Windows 10 related Update files from installing.)   This can become quite time-consuming and frustrating so I hope you can make use of the information to at least organize your method. HTH'sWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Gokat   Thanks!  My quick recovery this morning worked great and everything is back to normal on my Acer.  I'm glad your suggested fix is working for others too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, @PINKdogWOOD

There are a couple of threads active right now...mine on the FIX for the forced update, if you don't want it ( and a thread in Electronics on the FIX which I posted awhile ago) and yours.  Posters are jumping them all so it's confusing.  Here's the post I made to ROMARY 1 .  HTH'sWoman Happy

Here's what you need to to in order to set your Windows Updates to be able to check them before installing:

Go to your Start Menu.

Select "All Programs"

Under All Programs Select Windows Updates

Click on Windows Update

Once in Windows Update on the left you will see "Change Settings"

Click on "Change Settings"

Under Important Updates there is a menu

Select "Check for updates but let me decide whether to download and install them."

This will set your preferences so you can review all your Windows updates before they install.

Because you say you don't want to add anything to your computer, you'll need to manually check for the optional mislabeled updates MS is sending through more and more often now to attempt to install Windows 10 to your computer.  The Windows Update numbers to check for on Windows 7 are: KB....5583, 2664, and/or 1917.  If you have Windows 8, KB....2543 is the one you need to check for (last four digits of each).  If one or more of those appears in your Updates, you need to hide the file(s) by right clicking on it and selecting "Hide File".  That will keep it from installing until MS decides to send it/them through again.  This is happening more and more often as the July deadline for the free Windows 10 approaches. You will now be notified of your Windows Updates in your Notifications area (lower right corner)

The GWX Control Program is the one I'm using successfully (and posted a thread about "FIX" in Electronics)  and it automatically cleans whatever MS may have loaded to a computer relevant to Windows 10 and then continually blocks those Updates going forward so you don't have to concern yourself with them. 

I do understand your hesitation so you can handle it either way.  HTH'sWoman Happy

PS...Please consider that this aggressiveness with MS will be ongoing for you @PinkDogwood ...at least until the end of July , so you will need to be doing something fairly regularly to fend off the Win 10 install.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Again, a big thank you to GoKat and others. Heart  As far-fetched as it sounds, many of the folks around here just don't have adult children living fairly nearby to call (and bother), asking to fix their suddenly very slow laptops.  So, a visit to their local geek/tech repair shop is usually the solution for them.  Which, in turn, takes a week or more, not to mention cost and frustration.  

@ROMARY

I just had a funny thought based on what you wrote.. "Pop-up Windows" has a whole new meaning! The new meaning would refer to being driven to a store, etc, in an automatically driven car, that we did not choose! HA

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~