Honored Contributor

Re: IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE WINDOWS 10 FORCED INSTALL...

[ Edited ]

My notice didn't have a 'cancel' option (and I looked). It was in the process of installing, as a matter of fact.  Just a postponement option, so I X'd mine out.   We'll see what happens next.........My computer has been very slow since then.  Have to wait and wait.   .......... Actually, we should message them.  There's a huge possibility that the folks 'on top' don't know that this is happening.  Sometimes the folks 'at the top' are the last to know, as we've all discovered, in general.  Sometimes (in general) some employees become arrogant, and do what they feel like doing, without permission, legal or otherwise.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm glad to see that your switch to Windows 10 is being a good experience,  @author .Woman Happy

The program I speak of here is another option available to those of us that wish to opt out of Windows 10 for various reasons.

Not all of us are receiving such a gracious welcome to Windows 10, I'm afraid.  The active thread here "auto upload of Windows 10" is another experience many of us are having.Woman Wink

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Trusted Contributor

@Gokat wrote:

You're fortunate, @scotnovel .  MS is now installing Win 10 without permission of the user via Updates.  There's another active thread here "auto upload of windows 10"  where many posters are experiencing this.  Woman Happy

I am not sure why the difference but the messgae I got about my "scheduled"  install, including the options to reschedule or to cancel came this past Saturday not several days or weeks in the past.   

Honored Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:
Who has been "forced" to install it? I got a message saying it would be installed on a certain date & time but that message also gave me the opportunity to change that time, date, and even to cancel the scheduled install. That message didn't "force" me to do anything.

I think what may be the difference here is that I have been receiving countless messages about Windows 10 but since I have been so inundated with them I have pretty much closed them before they fully loaded.

I did receive (I think) a different message about them installing (as opposed to pushing their software) to my computer which is old (I bought it the first week that Windows 7 was launched).

I am trying desparately to find a job and the last thing I need is to have my computer hosed which is why I have turned off automatic updates.  I just cannot have a frozen computer at this point in my life.

If anyone has had success with loading Windows 10 on their Windows 7 computer I would love to hear your success stories . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can only give you my history with it, @scotnovel .  I have nothing against Win 10 per se.  I did opt to install it on my year old Windows 7, 64 bit laptop when it became available.  It took several hours to install and caused all kinds of problems once installed.  I took the option to uninstall it completely.  Since then, MS has continually attempted to reinstall Win 10 through optional mislabeled updates. There are manual ways to get around this, but the program I speak of here was made available several months ago and it automatically heads off the mislabeled updates before they install.  HTH'sWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY

You might try asking a general question in the Electronics forum. Maybe someone else had the same.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The "folks" are VERY aware, and are making no secret of it, @ROMARY.  Their intent is to force the install on as many computers as they can.  Many computers do not accept Windows 10 well.

MS will continue to attempt the update to your computer.  You have two choices...Let the install go ahead and fall in line with Windows 10  OR  become proactive and use the GWX Control Panel program to automatically block the Win10 update files from installing to your computer.  

In the meantime, I'll commisserate with you on this one as I experienced the same thing when Windows 10 installed to my Windows 7, year old, computer.  I see that you stopped yours midstream, but I can guarantee the files are all still on there, and Windows 10 is a huge operating system...thus your slowdown.  MS will continue this attempt. The GWX program will clean that all up for you if/when you decide to use it.  HTH'sWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is an article found in Twitter concerning the issue:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3029613/microsoft-windows/new-details-emerge-about-forced-windows-1...

This article recommends installing GWX Control panel to monitor and prevent installation of WIN 10.

This author states that he uses WIN 10 on his personal computer, but he is incensed that MS is using these heavy-handed tactics.

The part that describes how MS monitors who have the upgrade and who doesn't is interesting:

"Those who reserved the upgrade way back, but never received it, get it first. It will be BITS that will locate these PCs, so there will be no windows update presented. Maybe that is why you have seen nothing to date from WU. The files will just arrive and a reboot will install it."

"(BITS is the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, which downloads updates from Microsoft's servers to your computer.) Apparently this resweep of outstanding but unfilled reservations was the first step in Microsoft's more aggressive upgrade campaign."

FYI: In the article, EULA stands for "End User Licence Agreement" which you decline if asked.

I often wondered how I was being "monitored" and this explains it... although it kind of gives me the CREEPS!

Honored Contributor

@Gokat   Not sure about this program but I just did a recovery on my laptop and totally did away with W 10.

I'm very happy to say I'm back to my fav W 8.1 which is what was loaded on this new computer when I bought it a year or so ago.

SO happy - doing the computer happy dance!!!! 

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD

Congratulations on your SUCCESS!!