Honored Contributor

Re: ICU nurse - are there any theories?

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

The video was terrible.  

It was heartbreaking then there was another one of the nurse sitting on the curb after the accident.  I went from heartbroken to anger.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I’m an ICU RN. I’m still trying to figure out how she had work and a driver’s license.

A few thoughts on working in the past few years.

Substance abuse is a real thing. Diverting drugs. Drinking ALOT in off hours. So many nurses I know drink.

PTSD, night terrors are not uncommon since 2020. Suicide rates are up, especially in hard hit urban areas.

Taking a mental health leave is not uncommon.

A diagnosed medical health condition does not automatically mean that someone cannot function in a job.
Trusted Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I’m an ICU RN. I’m still trying to figure out how she had work and a driver’s license.

A few thoughts on working in the past few years.

Substance abuse is a real thing. Diverting drugs. Drinking ALOT in off hours. So many nurses I know drink.

PTSD, night terrors are not uncommon since 2020. Suicide rates are up, especially in hard hit urban areas.

Taking a mental health leave is not uncommon.

A diagnosed medical health condition does not automatically mean that someone cannot function in a job.

I can't figure that out too!  In all my years working in ICU/CCU, we only had 2 instances of nurses stealing Morphine. One was a male that I went to school with and another was sticking it in her sock.  Don't know how the thought they would get away with it forever as we did a narcotic count b/4 and after every shift.

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew Both

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@arrabella "I can't figure that out too!  In all my years working in ICU/CCU, we only had 2 instances of nurses stealing Morphine. One was a male that I went to school with and another was sticking it in her sock.  Don't know how the thought they would get away with it forever as we did a narcotic count b/4 and after every shift."

I once saw a Phil Donahue show about nurses who were addicted to morphine.  They said they would water down the morphine they gave their patients.  That is how they got their morphine without people noticing.

Valued Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@debfau wrote:

Sadly, many people don't bother to have insurance. A guy totalled our car. We were crossing the Roosevelt Boulevard and we had the green light. A guy with no insurance T-boned our car. 

The door smashed into me.  

So we ended up losing our car.  We had just dropped liability insurance and he got to walk away with not even a ticket. He left his car in the middle of the Boulevard and called a friend to pick him up. And he just walked away.

In most states he would have at least gotten a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident.

My husband asked why he wasn't getting a ticket. The Police replied he did not see him driving, therefore no ticket. Unless the Police actually saw him driving, he doesn't get a ticket.

So he can just walk away as we sit with a totaled car and injuries.

Did the cops at least give you his info, that way you could have taken him to civil court if the cops weren't going to do anything?

Honored Contributor

She could be delusional and her delusion could center around driving. She could also have taken a substance that causes this behavior. The traveling nurse company she works for should have caught the previous instances when she was hired. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CoffeeNut @She might have profound mental health issues. She needs an evaluation. 

@CoffeeNut wrote:

Her lawyer is claiming profound mental issues.  Is a way for her to not stand trial due to "insanity"  Trying to already beat the legal system. 

Trusted Contributor

I was wondering how she's going to live with this on her conscience, but hey, if the Manson clan can live with what they did, I guess anything's possible.....

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

After what just happened with a NH verdict yesterday, I'll reserve judgment.  It seemed simple.  A truck driver plowed into a group of bikers on a charity run, killing many of them.  The truck driver was driving under the influence and a history of arresrs for that.  SHe was found innocent of the multitude counts of vehicular homicide.  It took the jury just a couple of hours to render a verdict because the defense proved that the bikers drove into the path of the truck and they'd all been in a bar drinking for hours immediately prior to the accident.  The lead motor cyclist got on his bike and and many of the bikers just followed him and drove right into the path of the truck. He didn't have time to stop and while he was high, it played no part in the accident.  No one would have thought that would be the outcome in 2019 when it happened.  Some people don't want to believe it now.  It's mind boggling and we all assumed we knew all the facts from the news stories.  No one knows what happened in that CA case.

@chrystaltree 

You are correct that none of us know the facts, just what has been leaked and since she has been arraigned and bail set at 6 million dollars what the prosecutors are alleging.

What I do know is what I can see with my eyes, if you are interested you can google the accident. There is no disputing that she drove at a high rate of speed, without hitting the breaks, through a busy intersection.  Killing six innocent people.