Respected Contributor

Re: ICU nurse - are there any theories?

I heard one eyewitness account state that they saw her with her arm out the driver's window holding her phone just before the crash.  I'm sure the authorities will pull her phone records & try & figure out what she was doing in the seconds leading up to the crash.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@KathyM23 wrote:

@Zernia Rose   She had been involved in 13 other crashes over a period of time so probably not a phychological break.

@KathyM23 

I hadn't heard anything about her driving record. If those are facts, how can this woman still have a valid drivers license? If so, I can't imagine what her Liability Car Insurance cost her.

If she is legally able to drive? I think that State needs its criteria checked for who is allowed to drive on Public  Roadways.

I have driven for over 67 years and have never been the driver in any collision, and this woman now had 14?  Crazy!  😡

hckynut  🇺🇸

Sadly, many people don't bother to have insurance. A guy totalled our car. We were crossing the Roosevelt Boulevard and we had the green light. A guy with no insurance T-boned our car. 

The door smashed into me.  

So we ended up losing our car.  We had just dropped liability insurance and he got to walk away with not even a ticket. He left his car in the middle of the Boulevard and called a friend to pick him up. And he just walked away.

@drizzellla 

What did the Police Officer write on his incident report? Didn't know a Police Officer actually had to see someone driving a car to charge them with a wreck, especially one like yours.

I have always carried uninsured motorist on all the vehicles I drove, or towed, on the Public Roadways. I had a lot of money invested in my race cars also. 

So far, no claims, since all my many years have been wreck(some use accident) free.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

After what just happened with a NH verdict yesterday, I'll reserve judgment.  It seemed simple.  A truck driver plowed into a group of bikers on a charity run, killing many of them.  The truck driver was driving under the influence and a history of arresrs for that.  SHe was found innocent of the multitude counts of vehicular homicide.  It took the jury just a couple of hours to render a verdict because the defense proved that the bikers drove into the path of the truck and they'd all been in a bar drinking for hours immediately prior to the accident.  The lead motor cyclist got on his bike and and many of the bikers just followed him and drove right into the path of the truck. He didn't have time to stop and while he was high, it played no part in the accident.  No one would have thought that would be the outcome in 2019 when it happened.  Some people don't want to believe it now.  It's mind boggling and we all assumed we knew all the facts from the news stories.

No one knows what happened in that CA case.

@chrystaltree 

I think most that saw the video know exactly what happened.  It isn't what happened, it's the why it happened!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Have heard this case. It has been on Fox news. The day it happened.

They showed her car blasting through the traffic light . Horrendous murder of innocent people. I can't imagine how she treated her patients, the authorities should look at  how many people may have died that she cared for . I heard she  worked as a Traveling nurse.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zernia Rose 

I worked as an ICU nurse for 25 yrs and have worked in other  medical setting since which  has lead me to next yr is 40 yrs as a nurse.

I have not known one ICU nurse or any other colleague  ever   develop  mental health issues .

Honored Contributor

The video was terrible.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Her driving history says it all. She is a negligent operator of motor vehicles and should've had her DL revoked. I believe she has been involved in 13 prior accidents. This was a tragedy that should not have happened.

Can you imagine being responsible for the deaths of 6 innocent people? I hope she pays dearly by spending many years behind bars.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I can't imagine it. I just want to know how on earth anyone could live with that!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu 

looks like  Homicide , total disregard of the lives of others .

Purposeful speeding 100 miles an hr

Trusted Contributor

@skatting44 Congratulations on working in the field for nearly forty years. I don't doubt that your experiences have not involved medical personnel with mental health issues.  There are some nurses and doctors that have had those experiences.  My sister has been a RN/BSN/MSN/ and almost DPN since 1986 and she has recounted experiences of nurses and doctors having mental issues and substance abuse issues.  I am not arguing that the problems are widespread or solely result from the type of job, only that they exist as they do in many occupations.  One of my sister's specialities is mental health and she has worked in facilities directed to individuals in stressful occupations, e.g. medicine and flying (pilots) who have been admitted for mental issues or substance abuse of varying kinds and degrees.

I believe several entities could have intervened before this disaster: the DMV/state that would monitor her driving record and suspend her license; the supervisors in her jobs that may have observed issues; insurance companies that continued to provide her with coverage, family and friends aware of her issues, are just some instances for intervention.  As a traveling nurse, she has to submit to drug/alcohol screening, background check, and physical evaluation such as current vaccination or illnesses, e.g. TB.