Respected Contributor

Re: I would love to know what your first car was!

I dunno how to get the photo to attach... 

Smiley Sad

Mine was a 1990 Mistubishi Eclipse ES - Black, a 2 door sporty hatch with a sunroof.

It was a quick lil 4 cylinder single-cam that made my heart sing.

It debuted in 1989 but the paperwork from the dealership said 1990.

I bought it on March 18th, hungover as all get out!

My dad cosigned the loan. 11% (and as timing would have it - that's just before the rate bubble of inflation burst and rates dipped to less than 5% for cars and homes).

I drove it for 10 years. 

I LITERALLY cried when I handed the dealer my keys upon trading it in for a dumb Chevy Prism.

To this day - I STILL MISS THAT CAR!

Honored Contributor

1974 Chevy Nova, Spirit of America package.  

Respected Contributor

The first car I was able to drive was my dad's 1960 4-door Ford Falcon.  

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 

My very 1st car, I was 13 years old and went half with 1 of my older sisters. My 1st fully owned car was my 1950 Mercury coupe that was traded in at a dealership by my cousin. I drove and drag raced that car for several years at Drag Strips around the whole Midwest. I was not quite 16 when i bought that car, paid cash for it. That was in early 1955 and my birthday was/is in June. 

Loved that car,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

When I was in high school, my mother gave me a car that my father had given to her. My parents were divorced and my father was a manager at a car dealership in Oak Park, IL. I'm sure it was his way of helping her with money and expenses. Anyhow, I don't have a picture of it. The car was a black 1964 Plymouth Belvedere. For the life of me, I can't remember what happened to it!

Trusted Contributor

My first car was a 1974 orange Chevy Vega. My favorite car was my 1979 Mustang. Four speed, metallic dark green, leather interior, mag wheels. I loved that car. I'd probably still have it, but lost it in divorce.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee   I have to say that I didn't have any issues with my Renault until it neared 8 years old.  I wanted my first car to be a new car so I worked for a few years to make it happen.  I grew up with cars that I worked on with my Dad so imagine my surprise when I had to take the car in to the dealership for tune ups - we always tuned up the Ford's and Dodge's ourselves, lol.

My Allstate agent called my car the washing machine on wheels.  I have no idea why, especially because I lived in a rough part of Detroit and was paying a premium to insure that car.  I bought a car without a stereo because I knew it would be robbed before too long so the car wasn't fancy.

At the time a 10% interest rate was good and I had a 4 year car loan - I only had $1,000 to put down on it.  My car note was $244 a month.

The minute that car was paid off I called the Allstate agent and said, hey Don, you know the washing machine on wheels?  He said yea, I said, drop the insurance to no fault only.  He nearly had a heart attack.  I drove that car alot and about the time it was nearing 8 years old, me and the brotherhood of Hemphill (Hemphill towing - out of business now) were on friendly terms and I got discounts.

I loved that car and made lots of memories in that car.  My mother didn't know how to drive and back in the 80's they didn't have local vets who treated cancers in dogs.  Her dog developed cancer and I took her and the dog to MSU small animal clinic and Benjis' case exceeded their expertise.  I had two choices for the dog's treatment so we enrolled him in a comparitive oncology program at Perdue University.  I live in SE Michigan and drove to West Lafayette Indiana so often the car could have driven there for me.

Me, Ma and the dog had road trips.  Incidentally the dog did go into remission for a couple of years and then the cancer returned with a vengeance and comfort care was all that was available.

My mother cried harder over me junking my car than I did. I will always have a soft spot for that car.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I did not start driving until I was 27 years old.  My first car was one I bought from a friend for $150. It was a 1966 volkswagon beetle.... it was in really rough shape... had four different mismatched  colored fenders over each wheel... sawdust original filled tires...and it had No Reverse on the  transmission( stick of course)...so I had to open the door and use my leg to back it up!  I always parked so I could go forward without having to go in reverse...

Fortunatly I lived in a very small town called Ketchum Idaho that at the time did not even have a stop light... so I could get away with driving such a mess of a car... but I was sure happy to have wheels no matter how bad they were.  

in the '60s my Dad worked on VWs for  a while as a hobby. they came in all states of disrepair. some he sold, some he repaired.    he kept one for a while, he couldnt fix the heater and the owner ditched it. it had one strap-on headrest . when he finally junked it my sister and i took the headrest stuffing out and pretended it was a flight bag.

Valued Contributor

A used 60 something Corvair, champagne color, bought probably 1972 or so for $400!  I lived in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California.  Can't tell you how many times I took it through the Malibu Canyon to the beach during the summers.  Those were the days!  When I got married in 76 my husband made me get rid of it because it was considered dangerous.  Sure wish I still had it.  I think they are collectible.

Honored Contributor

Although I got my license at 16, I didn't get a car till I was 21. Right out of University.  It was used BMW.  My husband had  a new BMW.  We loved those beammers.  My husband switched to leasing cars.  His current one is a 2019 Mercedes (he has an electric car) I still drive BMW's.  My current one was purchased kind of new.  It was a  loaner 2017 (the new cars they use to test drive).  Both of us prefer German cars.