Honored Contributor

Re: I would love to know what your first car was!

A '73 Chevy Nova SS, 4 barrel carburetor, dual glass pack exhaust, gold metallic paint, that baby had wings and it roared!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

See the source image

Used Datsun 210

Regular Contributor

1962 Studebaker Hawk - paid $500!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

1974 Ford Mustang, brand new off the showroom floor, my first car i bought when I got my first full time job after college. It cost $4000. 

@Shelbelle 

My brother bought a '74 hatchback.  The exterior was a dark metallic blue, the interior was silver and red with fake burl accents.

He found a rare 1969 British Racing Green MGC-GT with leather interior and wire wheels and quickly fell out of love with his Ford.  I inherited it when I went off to college in 1977.

Unfortunately, the paint was a bad batch from 3M and there was oxidation, then rust.  Going to a college on the Pacific coast contributed to the rust problem.

Our relationship ended when it overheated on Hwy 237-- on my way home from my first job. Woman Sad

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

1970 green Chevy Malibu.

95a0252807a4a733cb6d09a2ba85093b.jpg

Honored Contributor

My father restored a 1967 camaro for me.  It was dark green with tan interior.

Esteemed Contributor

A maroon 1980  Chevy Malibu  sight-unseen it had 200 miles on it. My dad's cousin was a car dealer in Indiana    I paid for most of it cash   I didn't ask my Dad to help me find a car he just told me one day were were driving to IN to pick up the car.

I hated it.

I needed a carburetor pretty soon after buying the car. DH & I just started dating. He bought the carburetor & put it in.    I had to have the engine replaced after 5 years (cheaper than buying another car).

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

1984 Renault Alliance

Image result for 1984 renault alliance

@Bird mama 

Let me first say that the 1983 Renault Alliance was Motor Trend Car of the Year.  The 1984 Renault Alliance was not.

I replaced my 1974 Ford Mustang II hatchback with a Sterling Silver metallic (with burgundy interior) 1984 Renault Alliance DL 4-door sedan.

It had to be towed back to the dealership the day after I bought it.  Yet I stuck with it for 16 years.  Barely had 69,000 miles on it.  Towing just doesn't rack up the mileage.

Mechanics loved me.

But I loved that car because it was the perfect size, felt a lot bigger inside than it actually was, and I haven't found anything since that has such great visibility.  Great gas mileage, too.  The metallic paint didn't hold up so an old boyfriend had it painted white for me.  I've had white cars ever since.

I loved AMC products but this car was, unfortunately, the last nail in AMC's coffin.

Alliance

The 1983 DL 4-door.

I remember going to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and an angry man came running out of the office, waving his arms and yelling at me.  Told me to get the ____ off his lot.

I later discovered that the Alliance had two different oil filter systems.  Several oil change outlets were being sued because drivers would drive away after an oil change and all the oil would pour out on the street, destroying the car.

Sigh.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I graduated from the Air Force's Officer Training School and went home on leave.  My dad had located a used VW Beetle for me to buy.  I nearly drove that little car into the ground.  I got married and dh and I actually carried a calf home in the backseat area.  It went on a major trip almost every week-end.  We weren't sure it would make it the last few blocks to the dealership to trade it in

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I did not start driving until I was 27 years old.  My first car was one I bought from a friend for $150. It was a 1966 volkswagon beetle.... it was in really rough shape... had four different mismatched  colored fenders over each wheel... sawdust original filled tires...and it had No Reverse on the  transmission( stick of course)...so I had to open the door and use my leg to back it up!  I always parked so I could go forward without having to go in reverse...

Fortunatly I lived in a very small town called Ketchum Idaho that at the time did not even have a stop light... so I could get away with driving such a mess of a car... but I was sure happy to have wheels no matter how bad they were.