Esteemed Contributor

Re: I would love to know what your first car was!

I learned to drive in our family's 'shared' teen car a black, Ford Galaxy 500, 1963. I didn't drive until 1970. Older sis married and bought her own car. Brother took Galaxy to college.  

Image result for black Ford Galaxie 500 1963 Being without a car in high school, dad bought a 1963 gold, Chevy Nova for me to drive. A guy at work sold it to him. It had been wrecked. The dashboard was all caved in and radio barely worked. Thank you, transistor radio. I had to put a pillow behind me when driving because the bench seat never did move up all the way. Oh, dad.... 

And then something wonderful happened. After my sophomore year in college - getting ready to transfer miles away to a university, dad bought me a slightly used 1973 standard transmission, copper Mercury Capri. Biggest surprise of my life. He did it because I paid for my first two years of community college while working at Macy's and he paid for expensive universities and wedding for my siblings. He told me I gave him the least amount of grief growing up. Mom died when I was 12 and I was the one who helped him with housework. laundry, kitchen stuff and made grocery lists for him. That kind of stuff. Still unbelievable that he was so unexpectedly generous to me. Funny - I drove a nicer vehicle than older siblings. Yep, they resented it. 

Loved this car for so many reasons. 

Your question brought back lots of memories. Thank you

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@catter70 My friend had this car -- I think the engine was in the rear. Sometimes I had to push it to get it started then jump in the front pasenger seat. Convertible 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

An old oldsmobile cutlass. It wasn't pretty, but it did the job till I could get something better.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I did not start driving until I was 27 years old.  My first car was one I bought from a friend for $150. It was a 1966 volkswagon beetle.... it was in really rough shape... had four different mismatched  colored fenders over each wheel... sawdust original filled tires...and it had No Reverse on the  transmission( stick of course)...so I had to open the door and use my leg to back it up!  I always parked so I could go forward without having to go in reverse...

Fortunatly I lived in a very small town called Ketchum Idaho that at the time did not even have a stop light... so I could get away with driving such a mess of a car... but I was sure happy to have wheels no matter how bad they were.  

@SeaMaiden.  LOL.  If you paid $150 for THAT,  I think they took advantage of you.  Sawdust filled tires?

@Kachina624  Yes. 😄

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama Our neighbor had a renault. Four kids and a wife. German man. They'd squeeze in and ride away. Haven't thought of renaults for quite some time. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden.  Wasn't  Ernest Hemmingway from Ketchum?  I saw a documentary about the family with lots of film of Keychum.  Seemed like a pretty little town.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

My first car was used gold Mustang Ghia, I forget what year it was. I saved most of what I earned at my job for a year so that I'd be able to pay cash for my first "new" car. 

Super Contributor

I never owned a car by myself. When I married DH he had one like this car, a new 1963 Dodge Dart 2 door hard top. I learner to drive and got my driver's license with it. Since then we have co-owned many cars over the 56 years we've been married. I've driven them all, but only when absolutely necessary. 

'63DodgeDartGT.jpg

Respected Contributor

@CJC wrote:

1966 Pontiac Lemans.....bright red with white vinyl top and white leather interior.  I was a first year teacher right out of college and paid $2900 for that car, with a little help from my daddy.  My payments were $117/month for two years. I mailed in my monthly check with my payment coupon from my little GMAC coupon book. It was my first financial responsibility as a working adult. My how times have changed!  That car was a real looker and, if I do say so, I was a bit of a looker too way back then. 😉 Boys took notice when I drove by in that red car.  Now at age 75 I don’t turn heads anymore and neither does my little Corolla, but oh the memories!

I had a 72 Lemans which turned out to be a real lemon that I bought brand new since my ex totalled my 69 dodge coronet twice! After that is when I started buying the corvettes and dumped the ex.

Respected Contributor

my ex drove a 78 Monte Carlo, he worked at a dealership at the time.