Esteemed Contributor

Re: I would have to quite my job

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I once worked for an organization that had "an open concept" office.  Rows and rows of desks.  

I was there almost five years in the 1960s.

It really wasn't that bad.  If you are concentrating on your work, you really don't pay much attention to what's going on around you.

In my almost 50 years of employment - I think I worked in just about every variation of office environment!

Exactly!

The person sitting across from you is going to be busy concentrating on getting their work done.

It's not like you are going to be locking eyeballs on the person sitting across from you for eight hours a day.

That's just ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

Started 20 years ago in an office with two brothers and lost one four years ago.  Neither has ever worked Mon-Fri. or 9:00 to 5:00.  In fact just today had to give up having the office all to myself for the past two weeks.  This is not unusal for me to be alone for weeks at a time at work.  

I do not even pull a reg. work day myself so I would absolutely loose my mind in noise and chaos.  You have to enjoy your own company to basically work alone or with only one person then go home and live alone.  But that is what friends and extended family are a blessing. 

To start over with people sitting beside me and making a racket would push into really early retirement.   When I need it lots of conversation in the Ladies Room on our floor for so many who have been in the building even longer than me.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA, with the current "rediscovery" of open space work environment they've modified the idea and turned the desks so you ARE facing one another to facilitate conversation.
Some are in rows, face to face. I've seen desks in squares and pinwheels too.

Conversation between employees is ENCOURAGED, and there's an air of distrust for people who don't consult co-workers for input or, seek their approval.
The need to "Team" a solution has been carried to the extreme.
Esteemed Contributor

You learn to tune out the "noise and chaos".

It's not impossible to do.

Respected Contributor

Nobody is saying it's impossible to tune out noise and chaos 

It makes for a very uncomfortable and maybe unproductive work environment 

Esteemed Contributor

When I worked we had semi-cubicles, 2/3 of one side remained open to allow more space for maps.  Since we all talked on the radios and phones the remaining sides had 'sound-proofing' - but, it wasn't really that loud.  We also had  a tv and vcr for entertainment centered so all could view.  Honestly, after awhile, you just tune any distractions out.  Just give yourself some time to get used to it.  Your friends might enjoy it after awhile, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

It may be "uncomfortable" at first, but you get used to it, unless, of course, you are bound and determined to not even try from day one.

You know, it's interesting. When cubicles first came on to the scene, people complained about not being able to talk to their neighbors, and feeling "closed in" by the walls, but they adapted, and got used to working in a cubicle.

Now people are belly-aching about not having those walls.

If people can get use to having the walls, they can get use to not having the walls.

You'll be surprised at just how much you can tune out when you are concentrating on your work.

And don't tell me that you can't concentrate on your work in an open floor plan, because you can.

It all depends on just how hard you try.

You never know. You just might surprise yourself, and even grow to like it.

But, if you are not even going to give it a try, then you know where the door is, and good luck in finding a job where the work environment is perfect.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

It may be "uncomfortable" at first, but you get used to it, unless, of course, you are bound and determined to not even try from day one.

You know, it's interesting. When cubicles first came on to the scene, people complained about not being able to talk to their neighbors, and feeling "closed in" by the walls, but they adapted, and got used to working in a cubicle.

If people can get use to having the walls, they can get use to not having the walls.

You'll be surprised at just how much you can tune out when you are concentrating on your work.

And don't tell me that you can't concentrate on your work in an open floor plan, because you can.

But, if you are not even going to give it a try, then you know where the door is, and good luck in finding a job where the work environment is perfect.

I work from home.  So it's not an issue.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

I work from home.  So it's not an issue.  

If it doesn't even affect you, then why the fuss?

Honored Contributor

@straykatz I so agree with you. In my work environment who ever was assigned to the patients for the shift had the use of the desk outside the room.When I got there in the morning my first thing as soon as the previous nurse left was to take some alcohol and scrub the desk & chair & the shelf inside where I had to put my purse. Depending on what nurse I followed that could take more or less time to accomplish.Then I would get a box of kleenex and some pencils and scratch paper to leave out so no one would grab a pen and write on my clean desk (a pet peeve of mine - did they write on the furniture at home?) Next, since we did not have room at our desk for a trash can I would hang a paper trash bag on the side of the desk. And ,yes, all day long doctors and others would frequently leave used kleenex lying on my clean desk. I would pounce like a lioness if I caught them doing it. Despite all these efforts though, sharing a desk is a disgusting thing and I always wished I could have a job with my own private work space.Then when we got computers at our desks it got even worse - they would sneeze & cough all over the computer that I now had to also use. It was gross. I started bringing disinfecting wipes and lysol spray to work with me.