Honored Contributor

Re: I work at Walmart - May 20 Update

Hopefully the rude customers are gone.  No need for that.  Keep up the good job.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot -

I agree. I was just thinking, I don't blame anyone who takes unemployment and maybe is thinking

hey they don't even want to go back into battle for low pay at the risk of their lives!

Each person is doing what they can only do in these times.

I would hate to return and be afraid to do so and just be exhausted with the whole thing.

Those of us who are very lucky to be retired or not in their situation, can't really say what we would do.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I would never judge someone for saying no to working a frontline job at Walmart if they can find another legitimate method to pay their bills, even in the short term.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@kittykatkay wrote:

@Libra2....I am glad to know you are safe and had some much deserved time off.

I think it was a mistake to offer that much for unemployment (the extra $600) because right now, those who are receiving are not wanting to go back to work, just as you have stated.  BUT....and a BIG BUT, ....this will only last until July and they will be scrambling to find a job if they don't get their BUTTS back to work as soon as possible somewhere.  

I am retired, thank you LORD, but if I was in this situation, I would definitely go back to work to have a stable and sure income.  Hope they have a job to go back to or find one.

Some people can't go back to work.  Kids are at home, no day care, kids are doing school on line.  It goes on and on so there may be many reasons for people to stay home.  Thank God they get the extra money.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I find your updates very interesting @Libra2 .  Thank you for posting them.  I'm glad you were able to take some time off last week.

Same here, glad you were able to take some time off.  Thank you for what you do.  You are an essential worker so people can purchase what they need.  Cheers to youSmiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

I totally agree with what yellow919 posted here. There are many legitimate reasons why people have said no to returning back to work. It's not right for anyone to assume to know for a fact the reason why their co-worker or joe blow is staying home. Unless they personally told you that they're enjoying sitting on their butts collecting unemployment. There will always be the odd person who will abuse the system. Most people want to work for fulfillment, pride, being helpful...and the list goes on.

@ Kittykatkay- that's great that you're enjoying your retirement, but you're not in other people's situation, so it's unfair to say you'd go back to work-when nobody has been faced with this crisis ever before. Although there has been people who have come out of retirement to help out during this crisis-  for example (nurses, doctors, teachers) etc etc. Thank god for all the essential and non essential workers who are going to work...and those who are volunteering whenever they can.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, @kittykatkay,  it seems like a bonanza to these folks who are getting the extra money for unemployment. But Secretary Mnuchin said that anyone who refuses to go back to work after their businesses reopen will be ineligible for unemployment. So anyone who thinks they're going to milk this forever is in for a rude awakening come July.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@QueenDanceALot -

I agree. I was just thinking, I don't blame anyone who takes unemployment and maybe is thinking

hey they don't even want to go back into battle for low pay at the risk of their lives!

Each person is doing what they can only do in these times.

I would hate to return and be afraid to do so and just be exhausted with the whole thing.

Those of us who are very lucky to be retired or not in their situation, can't really say what we would do.

@on the bay 

I find it kind of repulsive that some sit back from the cushy comfort of not having to go anywhere or do anything to make a living and looking down their noses at those who do have to go out and do some not so fabulous jobs while tsk tsk tsking over them collecting unemployment after they've been laid off or fuloughed from that job.

And those same people sitting on their cushy butts in their cushy houses don't even know that when (and IF) those furloughed workers are called back that they HAVE to take those jobs back or they lose the unemployment.

That fact alone should give the critics a sense of satisfaction that these low wage earners won't get anything if they don't return to that low paying job.

Honored Contributor

@Libra2 : Thank you and appreciate everything you do. Will be praying for your safety and that you will receive many Blessings.🙏❤️❤️❤️💐💐💐Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GCR18 wrote:

Hopefully the rude customers are gone.  No need for that.  Keep up the good job.

The tension seems to be increasing with the shopping public, you can 'feel' it, everyone is on edge.  I worry about it escalating with upcoming hot weather, higher prices etc.