Esteemed Contributor

Re: I work at Walmart - May 20 Update

I respect your work ethic, @Libra2 .  It is people like you that built America.  I have little to no respect for the people that are taking unemployment when they could go back to work.   This is a slippery slope that needs to be watched over carefully.  It could quickly go from a good thing to something very bad.

Stay safe, @Libra2 .  We appreciate all that you are doing.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Libra2   I don't know where your customer received her information but if WM laid off employees and now wants them back-they have to go back.

You cannot just refuse your old job and continue to collect unemployment.

I find it odd that somebody would want to be on unemployment instead of working-because once the extra $$ runs out those checks will be 1/2 the amount of a regular paycheck.

Be careful what you wish for.

While in normal circumstances this would be true, not always the case now.  Businesses are bending over backwards to accommodate employees.  Many people are just not comfortable coming back to work yet and employeers are holding those jobs for them.  Allowing them to continue to collect unemployment (and the bonus payments).  That cannot continue forever. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Libra2 wrote:

Hi, Thank You for all your support during this Covid-19 trying time.

I took some vacation time last week. It has been so busy and we are being stretched out to work even harder, with other employees taking leave. We are still having our temperature taken when we enter for work at the door. One employee had the virus but he is ok now. Walmart now has a barrel to put in your used gloves, when leaving the store. Also the shopping carts and front end registers are being sanitized all day long.

Some of the employees that we had on leave are not coming back. The store is trying to hire more employees, but people who have been on unemployment benefits don't want a job because they can make more money staying home. A customer told me this. Good for them. I would do the same if I could!

So many customers have food stamps now, and that is why we are so busy.

The garden, fabric, tire center painting and sporting goods departments have been shut down because of the lack of staff. 

One good thing for me is that at the end of June, full-time employees will get $300 and part- time $150 in our paychecks.

This is because we don't get hazard pay I guess.

Stay safe everyone and you are also in my prayers.

I wish more people understood that not only is this dishonest, it's a trap and they'll pay for it later. Furthermore, what about how their resume will look with a longer gap when people will know when things opened back up in their area?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Libra2   I don't know where your customer received her information but if WM laid off employees and now wants them back-they have to go back.

You cannot just refuse your old job and continue to collect unemployment.

I find it odd that somebody would want to be on unemployment instead of working-because once the extra $$ runs out those checks will be 1/2 the amount of a regular paycheck.

Be careful what you wish for.

While in normal circumstances this would be true, not always the case now.  Businesses are bending over backwards to accommodate employees.  Many people are just not comfortable coming back to work yet and employeers are holding those jobs for them.  Allowing them to continue to collect unemployment (and the bonus payments).  That cannot continue forever. 

@CrazyDaisy   I am only referring to the original post regarding Wal-Mart.  It seems to me the customer had a grudge against those collecting unemployment.

We have see it many times here; the assumption that people do not want to go back to work.

I'm glad people could receive extra $$; but it will not last forever.

I seriously doubt most are willing to end up with1/2 their pay in the end rather than work.  Most people are industrious and feel better about themselves to be employed.

It's the same with food stamps and other assistance; we see it time and time again HERE about those who supposedly work the system.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I am so glad there are people like you still working and helping everyone get through this trying time. Preferring to stay home and collect unemployment rather than working....has the work ethic our parents instilled in most of us vanished? smh
Respected Contributor

I don't know why a  walmart customer would know why former walmart workers weren't going back to work at walmart.  If they were laid off after Christmas maybe they already found new jobs.   Why would walmart be laying off people during the pandemic?

I appreciate all the work retail workers do because I know it is not easy standing all day

Valued Contributor

I find it VERY interesting for those making assumptions of which they have no personal firsthand knowledge about!  I'm curently on unemployment.  It took just about 8 weeks from when I stopped working for me to even start receiving it due to being self employed and our state's (PA) getting the system up and running & working for those self employed. How would any of you survive without getting 2 months of income in whatever form?? It was not fun, nor is it still now.

Yes I also receive the $600 a week (currently only April-July). If you were out of work any other months/weeks outside of those months, you cannot get this extra money. Also, the amount I am receiving for just unemployment is less than 'half' of what I typically earn. I could not survive on just the unemployment--the extra money really helps, and am putting some aside for the future if this goes on for awhile and if I am still not working after July. I expect a lot of people still not to be working past July unfortunately, although I hope I'm wrong!

In addition, JUST because my state opens, or even partially opens, does NOT mean I can go back to work 100% in my personal case (and am sure for others as well).  My business depends on people being out and about.  That's not happening right now, and I don't believe it will even when things open 100%.  So even when I do start working again, it will not be at my 'full' pre-covid level of income. I am a million percent thankful for what I do receive from the government, & have no shame. 

My county in my state is still in the RED zone, so we are still on lockdown as of today.

I DO want to work, and hope to as soon as customers need me!!

Yes there are people who take advantage of every kind of system, but do not lump everyone on unemployment as being like that.  People take advantage of SS, pensions, etc. etc. But I don't judge everyone or make sweeping assumptions based off a few bad apples.

Valued Contributor

Libra2, thank you for what you do! Smiley Happy  I'm sure it's rough out there!

Respected Contributor

The one time in my life that I had to apply for unemployment, I was shocked at how little it was compared to what I was making. It was easily less than half my salary and it gets capped pretty low. I get that it isn’t supposed to be a full replacement of your salary but I think there is that perception. It is basically supposed to be enough to supplement your savings and keep you from losing your home, at least for a short amount of time.

Even with the extra money, it would still not come close to being enough to replace my full income. So, I think that people just like to say that people prefer to get paid to sit at home, but they don’t know that.

@Libra2, thanks for your updates and I hope you stay safe.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@cosmic1 wrote:
The one time in my life that I had to apply for unemployment, I was shocked at how little it was compared to what I was making. It was easily less than half my salary and it gets capped pretty low. I get that it isn’t supposed to be a full replacement of your salary but I think there is that perception. It is basically supposed to be enough to supplement your savings and keep you from losing your home, at least for a short amount of time.

Even with the extra money, it would still not come close to being enough to replace my full income. So, I think that people just like to say that people prefer to get paid to sit at home, but they don’t know that.

@Libra2, thanks for your updates and I hope you stay safe.

YES!!!  I'm not going to say what I typically earn or what I'm getting from unemployment besides the $600, but YES to above!!! Smiley Happy

Until you're in that prediciment (which I've never been in before having to be on umemployment) you really have NO idea!!!

Again, incredibly thankful for every penny I do get though! It's better than zero income!