Honored Contributor

Re: I work at Walmart - May 20 Update

[ Edited ]

@Libra2 

Glad to hear you are well, and glad you got to take some time off!! Thank you for all you do! Hang in there.... You are in my prayers!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I have a relative with the same issue of returning to work. They are also getting unemployment, but they are losing big dollars every week. This is professional tech job that they were laid off from and the hope is that they will return to it.  

|That's one big reason they are not taking jobs for low pay, they hope that this benefit they contributed to for years will help until the economy turns around and they can return to their old job.

It's not that their unemployment pays more than Walmart. I suspect there are millions of people in this category right now.

Esteemed Contributor

I was just at Walmart this morning. Wanted to buy a couple of nice hanging baskets I saw there last week. Should have bought them at that time-they were gone. 

What a shame for everyone to have to close the garden center at this time of year! This was my second or third trip there.

My local store was not very crowded when I visit. I make a point of arriving by 9;00 on a weekday morning.

Where I live, if Walmart, Target and the home big box stores can open, my state needs to open retail. We all have had plenty of practice with how to do this- now allow us to get people back to work. No excuses. Those that do not want to go out to public places need not do so.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Libra2   I don't know where your customer received her information but if WM laid off employees and now wants them back-they have to go back.

You cannot just refuse your old job and continue to collect unemployment.

I find it odd that somebody would want to be on unemployment instead of working-because once the extra $$ runs out those checks will be 1/2 the amount of a regular paycheck.

Be careful what you wish for.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the update. I'm glad you got some time off last week, I am sure you needed it. 

I'm glad you are getting a bonus, but I figure Wal Mart is raking in the dough about now. I think they should give you more than that. 

Prayers for you, may you stay safe and thank you for the work you are doing.

Respected Contributor

@Quse wrote:

@Libra2 Thank you for going in to work every day. The stay at home people need the go in to work people to survive. I started working for Instacart doing grocery shopping and delivery. I actually own an "essential business", and am busy, but there is a need. 
I refuse to give in to fear. We are not guaranteed safety, especially at the cost of freedom.
I take all of the safety precautions, etc...
I feel for the store workers. I see what you deal with every day.
Thank you. It does not go unnoticed. 

@Quse, Thank you!

Occasional Contributor

So lucky you get that extra pay. I work in social services where our leadership staff doesn't even come in and we get no extra pay. Congrats. 

Occasional Contributor

They are trying to get the extra $600 extended until the first of the year which I think is a big mistake because as we all know, some people will take advantage of this and not return to work because they get paid more to stay home.

Honored Contributor

I appreciate all of the workers who enable the rest of us to survive.

I don't appreciate those who take pot shots at those who have lost their jobs and are relying on unemployment money to survive.

Valued Contributor

Thank you for what you do and for filling us in. You deserve the extra bonus and more. I hope people are giving you the respect you deserve. Stay safe.