Respected Contributor

Re: I won't be watching football anymore

I'm still ticked off by Michael Vick! He never should have been allowed to play in the NFL after what he did. I prayed every team the Eagles played had dog lovers out to get him.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/11/2014 NC Bandwagon said:

Sorry for what you went through, OP. If it helps, not all NFL players are bad. Unfortunately, the ones that are good are either not talked about or are mocked for being "goody goodies." If it helps at all, golf can be a pretty relaxing sport. At least I think so, anyway. I don't know what it is about golf, but it doesn't seem to attract as much drama as some other sports. That's my opinion on it, anyway. Sorry if that came out wrong.

Sorry to anyone else that got abused, too.

Thanks NC, I know there are some good NFL players, there are other reasons I won't watch~ I appreciate your compassion. I know alot about abuse from personal experience and getting involved with a women's shelter. There is no way those who haven't been abused can relate.

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/11/2014 di-mc said:

I'm still ticked off by Michael Vick! He never should have been allowed to play in the NFL after what he did. I prayed every team the Eagles played had dog lovers out to get him.

lol!! So did I di-mc! Did you know the women's shelter where I got counseling built a shelter for pets because many women, (myself included) wouldn't leave their husband/boyfriend without their pet! MV should NEVER been allowed to play as you said! I guess if you abuse animals, its ok to abuse women as well...according to the NFL! (They do have MV chew toys for dogs, its Michael Vick's head, lol!)

-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

On 9/11/2014 di-mc said:

As despicable as his crimes were he was dealt with by the legal system and went to prison.
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/11/2014 reese2 said:
On 9/11/2014 happy housewife said:

As for this Ray Rice - IMO - if she was stupid enough to marry him after that - why should I or any other person care? She certainly had more than enough warning what was to come. It is her choice to make and she chose to put up with it, apparently. Some folks will do anything for money, and now he won't even have that.

Wow. I thought nurses were compassionate and educated people. Did you have no training on domestic violence? You can't get triaged in an ED today without being asked questions regarding your significant relationship and whether you feel threatened by them or any situation in your home.

Maybe we should all be glad you're retired.

WinkReese!

-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

On 9/11/2014 nunya said:
On 9/11/2014 straykatz said:

Agree...not everyone connected to the NFL is guilty of abuse or covering it up.

I also think if this Ray person was banned from the NFL then shouldn't every single player who has been accused/charged/investigated/etc for DV be banned along with him?

I thought Ben Roethlisberger should have been banned when he raped all those women. However, I guess he threw a lot of money at the problem and it went away.

I think if he had been charged, it would have had a different outcome.

I agree,but as I said , I think he threw some money at these 3 women and it all went away. Clearly, 3 individual incidents , he was as guilty as sin.

I think he did do something bad. But I also wonder at women who are willing be paid off or never file charges.

Honored Contributor

NUNYA - it is all about the $$$$$$$$$$ bottom line.

Actually the ray Rice thing too - i have no doubt that she married him for the money and is willing to put up with whatever to get her hands on it, why else would she marry him after he did that ?

Super Contributor

I am sure there are many many victims of spousal abuse that will continue to watch football. Just like animal crurelty and M Vic. Dislike the person/ player not the sport or profession
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/11/2014 hckynut said:

I won't be watching football anymore

Could I call this a boycott? From what you said I think you have been missing what has been going on in our country for decades now. I will separate from sports to give you an example.

Not that long ago a "drunk 16 year old" killed 4 people and left another severely brain damaged when he drove his vehicle into them. What happened to this kid? He went before a judge and his attorney gave the defense of "Affluenza", and the kid got off with going to some form of treatment in "center".

That center was nothing but a spa and cost the father, I believe $250, 000 a year to send him there.

So you think the sports world is the only part of our society were "equal is not equal"?

I don't watch pro football. My only interest in football is our states college Division I team, the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

The NFL and NBA would do well to take a look at the NHL and what they do with anyone that commits a crime, be it drugs or domestic violence. The player does it? He no longer is playing professional hockey, period.

When was the last time you read anything like this about a National Hockey League player?

Did I ever say the sports world was "equal is not equal'? I only said I wouldn't be watching football anymore, there are more players then Rice that have been abusers..I have a right to my feelings too, just as you do! We had an NFL football player where I live that shot his wife and then took his own life..tragic, just sick of hearing about it! Seems to me there is alot of violence in this sport. I believe one of the posters here addressed that!

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

N/M

-- Mae West