Respected Contributor

Re: I won't be watching football anymore

Personal experiences affect what we will or can tolerate.

I can enjoy watching professional sports and simply think "boo!" when a particular bad actor player comes on the screen. One person does not ruin all of it.

It seems like ego-stroked players get into romantic relationships with stunningly beautiful females who are attracted first off to the name, glory, and money that goes with it. They end up in a trophy wife/trophy husband coupling of unmet expectations and disappointments.

Player, Know Thyself.

Super Contributor

Rarely do I watch football.......it's not my cup of tea but don't immediately dump all of football quite yet......give the league time to do the right thing........I don't think that everyone connected with the NFL is guilty of domestic abuse........hopefully this will cause changes in the way everyone thinks about domestic abuse as a serious problem in our world today ........years ago I was a victim myself and when I tried to remove myself and my child I had support from my family but I also had others who still thought that I should stay married and give him another chance.......I had already given him 3 chances so that option was no longer on the table......domestic abuse is never right. We all agree on that I hope but now we need to take some time to determine what the NFL knew and when before we make a decision. Ultimately the NFL will have to do the right thing they have no choice the fans will demand it.
Respected Contributor

Agree...not everyone connected to the NFL is guilty of abuse or covering it up.

I also think if this Ray person was banned from the NFL then shouldn't every single player who has been accused/charged/investigated/etc for DV be banned along with him?

Valued Contributor

Ray Rice actions so wrong, the NFL actions, lies, lies, lies.......................... Money is their motive, lots and lots of it!
Super Contributor

I won't stop watching but I respect each person's own views and feelings on the subject. I think we have to choose our words carefully when disagreeing, because I also flinched when I read some of the responses to the OP. She feels what she feels, how can it be wrong or ridiculous or anything else? Her feelings are real to her.

What saddens me is how often women appear to me to be intolerant or unsympathetic to other women, even if they are going through similar events in their lives. We all process and deal with things differently, and I think the Joan Rivers' threads illustrate that perfectly. Some of us needed more time, others less, but I don't think anyone was right or wrong...we're individuals.

Esteemed Contributor

I admire you for standing up for what you believe in. And I am sorry for what you went through with having been abused.

I don't watch football either (before this all happened). To me all they do is stand half the time make a few plays and that's it. To me that's not talent. Also I get mad how some of these guys get scholarships simply because they play football but a lot do not make the grades. And lastly- they are all over paid! JMHO

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

On 9/11/2014 Shorty2U said:

I admire you for standing up for what you believe in. And I am sorry for what you went through with having been abused.

I don't watch football either (before this all happened). To me all they do is stand half the time make a few plays and that's it. To me that's not talent. Also I get mad how some of these guys get scholarships simply because they play football but a lot do not make the grades. And lastly- they are all over paid! JMHO

I remember a sports guy on the radio saying that in the average game the ball in only in play for 18 minutes. I, too, get really bored with all the standing around so I've never been a big fan.

Also, football is a huge business way down to the pre-college level. A woman I know is currently going through this with her son who played QB in high school (and not a big deal player in the least, although he's not bad). Recruiting from all of these junior colleges that are just football mills. $$$$$$$$$$$$ is what it's all about.

Frequent Contributor

I didn't watch football before and I don't plan to now. I've never agreed with the propensity to make these guys heroes and "role models". I dislike boxing as well. I just see no reason for intentional violence. Bloodsport is not my idea of sport.

I wish I could say this incident with RR will shed a light on domestic abuse and that things will change, but I sadly think the issue will just get swept away when the next big news story breaks.

Oh, and for those of you who find some sort of relevance to abuse and Chick Fil A? hmmm.

I guess bigotry and abuse could be grouped into two of the biggest tragedies of this country.

Honored Contributor

On 9/11/2014 brii said:

I don't know if not watching football will impact how the NFL handles these situations.

If a person wishes to financially impact the NFL's success, wouldn't 'boycotting' their advertisers be more effective?

Honored Contributor

On 9/11/2014 deepwaterdotter said:
On 9/11/2014 brii said:

I don't know if not watching football will impact how the NFL handles these situations.

If a person wishes to financially impact the NFL's success, wouldn't 'boycotting' their advertisers be more effective?

Most definitely, yes.