Super Contributor

Re: I won't be watching football anymore

While I am sympathetic to your experience because I also suffered spousal abuse when I was young, not watching football if it is something you enjoy isn't going to change anything. It's sort of like throwing the baby out with the bathwater in my opinion. What Ray Rice did was wrong, and the more details coming out about what the NFL knew and when they knew it is equally as shocking, but hopefully this incident will lead to positive changes. It has already served to open discussion and the more people talk about it the less it will be tolerated. People are realizing that it is no longer okay to blame the "victim" in abusive situations and that there is no shame in asking for help if a person is involved in an abusive relationship. Mike Tyson abused Robin Givens during their marriage, but it didn't stop me from watching boxing. Thankfully he sought the help he needed to deal with his anger. Hopefully Ray Rice will get the help he needs. Every relationship is unique and people that are close to the couple and know Ray have said this incident was very out of character for him. That is not making excuses for him because even one time is once too many, but I'm sure his wife loves him and wants to support him. He is certainly being used an an example, and if it stops even one other man from abusing their wife or girlfriend, then it is worth it. I think the key is accountability, whether it's a famous athlete or a singer or an actor. Too many times they get away with poor behavior because of the fame and fortune. Part of the change needs to be treating them like "regular" people and making them suffer the punishment and consequences for their actions. Choosing not to watch football because of the actions of a few won't change what has happened. For every bad seed, there are dozens of great players that are wonderful family men that contribute to their communities and support lots of different charities. I think the NFL is a great example for young people about the spirit of teamwork and working hard to achieve goals. JMO.

Super Contributor

{{{graceandmercy}}} {{{Peachsue}}} and all survivors of domestic abuse. Not a subject that requires Chik-fil-A to be brought up, either. jmoymmv

Honored Contributor

Jules...you are so right. Just talking about it is...huge. That will build a strong foundation.

Honored Contributor

On 9/11/2014 sidsmom said:

I listen to sports radio all day & right or wrong, they bring up a lot of scenarios to get you thinking. If a crime has been committed & time served, why deny someone of their livelihood? If this happened in an office setting, chances are they would still have their job.

There's Government Law & NFL 'Law'...in this case, NFL Law is taking the lead. Wow...all this is so wrong on so many different levels. What a mess.

They were both arrested, not sure what happened with her charges, but his were resolved by the state. The NFL will have to admit they did have all of the footage, not just a portion when they gave him the 2 game suspension.

Honored Contributor

Jules, Cakers, graceandmercy and to everyone!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

I think it is ridiculous to give up watching football. The NFL clearly has had this mentality forever. Nothing stopped people prior to this incident so why start now? And btw, it is prevalent throughout society including other sports and the media so it is not the game of Football that needs changing it is us and how we allow things to go unchecked until it literally punches us in the face.

And I too am a survivor of Domestic Violence.

Honored Contributor

Watching football might re-traumatize graceandmercy.

Only she can decide if watching is good for her or not.

Esteemed Contributor

It's not ridiculous to graceandmercy and any other woman, or man, to feel the way she does.

Honored Contributor

On 9/11/2014 Lila Belle said:

It's not ridiculous to graceandmercy and any other woman, or man, to feel the way she does.

Of course it's not.

Respected Contributor

Oh excuse me I guess my opinion is not allowed wow. Carry on.