Esteemed Contributor

Re: I wish people would think before they speak

@AuntG wrote:

Those who suggest a snappy comeback are just as rude as the person asking the intrusive question. I think a vague answer about a medical condition is as far as I would go. One thing drilled into me, and then on to my youngsters, was not to ask any questions about appearances in public - ask mom or dad once we are in the car or back at home.

I was also told NOT to stare at people who might have some kind of problem or issue. 

Honored Contributor

She has an appalling lack of manners to make such a boorish,insensitive comment....basically, it is none of her business! I would not have given her any information about your personal health at all....it isn't her right to know....she was not taught any manners, or if she was, she has decided to ignore them. Don't spend time worrying about people who are that disrespectful.
Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

I have a standard answer for this type of question and this is how it goes. "I will forgive you for asking if you forgive me for not answering". Oh, and you must say it with a smile......leaves them baffled. 

What a great come-back to oh-so many insensitive people in the past 69 1/2 years! I'm always so stunned anyone would be so intrusive that I'm speechless! Hope my memory doesn't fail me next time. Thanks for sharing.  Smiley Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

To the OP, I'm so sorry you had this happen to you. It was very rude and thoughtless of that person.

Respected Contributor

She was probably just concerned about you. Maybe thought you were being abused. If you were being abused would you want people to stay quiet. She could of ask in a better way but at least she cared.

Trusted Contributor

@panda1234, love that!

Respected Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

@panda1234, love that!

@Renata22 Thanks, it works for most situations.

Respected Contributor

@panda1234  Your answer is priceless. I love it.

Respected Contributor

FuzzyFace, Im sorry you had to experience such inconsiderate rudeness.

My brother died unexpectedly 2 days before XMAS, I was in total shock as we were very close. In the 3 weeks we waited for his memorial I had lost 20 pounds from grieving. My best friends Mother who hadn't seen me in awhile and in her 70's says to me very loud in her thick Boston accent, 'you look terrible do you have cancer'.

I was taken aback and didn't know what to say except I was grieving for my brother who I idolized and felt that my life had been sucked out of me.

I will remember that moment for the rest of my life,

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Esteemed Contributor

@FuzzyFace, I am just so sorry this happened to you. You are so very right, people need to think before they speak. I really think it makes some people feel superior to others when they do ****** like this, makes them feel better about their sorry selves.

I speak from years of experience, I will never forget one of my dh's ignorant cousins asking me if I was pregnant. Ugly, little shrivelled up snot. If she wasn't so stupid she'd have known I was way too old for that anyhow.