Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'I wish I'd never done it': Man who invented plastic Keurig coffee pods admits he regrets ever creating them - because t

My husband used the pods for 1 month. He got sick of paying the prices and was worried about the environment. He makes his regular coffee in it with the filter that came with it. Occasionally I had some hot chocolate pods, but no more.

PS) Also we recycle here by LAW for years now. Recycle company picks up our recyclables (newspapers, cardboard, cans, bottles, plastic etc etc), once a week and if its big items like electronics you must take them to the recycle place. Trash hauler is NOT allowed to take recyclable items/electronics. (electronics have nothing to do with pods but just saying we live pretty green here).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

Re: 'I wish I'd never done it': Man who invented plastic Keurig coffee pods admits he regrets ever creating them - because t

I just read this article on MSN. I couldn't believe he only sold his company for fifty grand. However, I think it said he sold it back in 1997 so the K-Cups concept probably seemed so different and even strange to most people back then.

Super Contributor

Sometimes I get tempted by the speed of the Keurig but we love our French press pot. We have two sizes, one makes about 12 ozs for one really big mug and the other makes 4 mug fulls. We don't even have to deal with any filter.

In the future it will be good if the pods are recyclable, however not everyone will recycle them. On my street about 1/3 of the people do not recycle. Recycling here is so easy, everything goes into one container. Our recycling container is always fuller than the garbage one.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Free2be said:
On 3/4/2015 terrier3 said:

I think he's more sorry he only got $50,000.

I use Trader Joe's pods - they are recyclable.

My thought, as well. There are many plastics that go to landfills, these are a drop in the bucket in comparison.

Not when you consider that there are millions and millions of them. I regret he invented them too.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Complicated said:

I am not a perfect person.

I use my keurig.

For my house, it saves us from waste of coffee and water.

You don't have to agree.

That's it, in a nutshell for me. As a Californian, I'm trying to reduce my water usage as much as I can. We currently use a regular coffeemaker during the week, and the Keurig on weekends. If the other coffeemaker breaks down, I'll be happy to use the Keurig every day. No leftover coffee to throw out and no pot/basket to have to wash.

Honored Contributor

Call me crazy but I like the idea of collecting and using plastic to fill in sinkholes. Sinkholes pop up all over the place, so fill them in with something that will never rot, decay, or degrade. Plastic's perfect for the job. Put a large melting device of some sort at the top of the sinkhole and then slowly fill in the sinkhole with melted plastic. Voila! Two problems solved! You've filled in a sinkhole and gotten rid of plastic that's not biodegradable. The not biodegradable part is very important for filling sinkholes. Let the Keurig drinkers of the world pay for the plastic and then use their empties to fill in sinkholes. It's a win-win situation. There's lots of non-recyclable plastic out there and lots of sinkholes. Combine the two and you solve two problems at one time without adding anything to the landfills.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Lotus~ said:

I won't use them for that reason. I try to do my part.

Why can't they sell the flavored coffee in little bags or something to transfer to the "refill pods"?

I won't use them because they are bad for the environment. There are billions of small plastic pods dumped into landfills that don't degrade. Plus, a peculator, which I use, makes a superior cup of coffee.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 BecauseCats said: LOVE my Keurig! My first one died after several years. Replaced it the same thing with another Keurig, I would NEVER go back to brewing coffee. The biodegradable will come.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

ITA

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

The bigger waste to the environment is the fact that these coffee makers don't last more than a couple of years, and end up in the landfill.

I don't drink coffee, but husband does, and he really asks for very little. I thought he would like one, so I bought him a Keurig three years ago, and it died completely after about two and a half years. He even took it apart to try to fix it, but no doing (he had all the technical reasons why, but it is beyond me to explain!!).

He loved having that one cup at a time so much, he asked to get another. We did, but I really don't think this one will last any longer.

I come from a time when appliances like this lasted decades (think of those great old Farberware percolators or the first Mr. Coffee pots that some still have in the office at work). The more high tech they get, the worse they are for longevity.

We only use the My K Cup, as the pods are just too expensive for our budget.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 redtabby said:

Sometimes I get tempted by the speed of the Keurig but we love our French press pot. We have two sizes, one makes about 12 ozs for one really big mug and the other makes 4 mug fulls. We don't even have to deal with any filter.

In the future it will be good if the pods are recyclable, however not everyone will recycle them. On my street about 1/3 of the people do not recycle. Recycling here is so easy, everything goes into one container. Our recycling container is always fuller than the garbage one.

I actually have both a Keurig AND French presses.

Keurig is great for a fast cup...but I also love the "ritual" of using the presses and grinding my own coffee. I have single serve and 3 cup sizes. I DON'T like cleaning up after them though!