Super Contributor

Re: I will experience the coldest weather in my life Sunday Night...

[ Edited ]

I live in Minnesota. We will warm up to -7 later today but wind chills will hover around -40.  Pretty much our weather over the next three days.   Doubtful it will change much; folks will just walk to their cars faster and will not linger in the street too long.  And no doubt there will be a few women out partying in short dresses and bare legs, and guys thinking they can get by with just a sweater or suit jacket.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sydsgma1 wrote:

I remember tromping my way through the university of Minnesota with the windchill -60..andno, the seminar was not canceled. I looked like the Michele. Man..

This made me laugh.  They don't cancel much here due to cold weather or even snow.  My kid went 13 years in school (K-12) with only one day off due to weather.  My college never closed because of weather and class was cancelled only if your instructor decided they did not want to hold class.  I never had one of those instructors.

Super Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I was born and raised in Southern California and now live in the Seattle area and I have never experienced any "minus" weather.  I can't even imagine what that would feel like.  I am cold today and it is currently 45 degrees. ———

I live in Spokane. Many years ago,'we not only were buried in snow, then the brutal cold moved in!

We had 2 or 3 days of around -25👿👿 EXtremely rare, for here.  We can sometimes get single digits, but that’s not common and below zero is rare.   Winters can be long, but not usually severe. 

Honored Contributor

Just like MN., we have lived in Minot and Grand Forks, ND.  If you've lived there, I don't need to say any more. MN is a lot like that, I'm sure. I think MaryBeth is from MN. 

Esteemed Contributor

At this time, we are at 7 degrees.

Comparing 'our' temperature to some, (most that live in upper Minnesota)...I would UP my bucket list and move to Hawaii for GOOD!

That's our 2nd home as it stands, now..  `love Christmas there, but not this year, though...COMPANY,....` and I loved every minute having family here.

My Dad was ALWAYS intrigued scrolling the map for International Falls, Minnesota and (??> Sue Saint Marie..{is that the correct spelling?}.

I was given a colored map 3 days ago and saw a place in Minnesota called Marais, Minnesota with a -44 temperature.

The ``` COLDEST I have ever witnessed was -25.

Our front entry way was frozen and could not be cracked with a hammer.      "...had to go out by the side entrance for over two weeks"...

We had a high efficiency furnace installed 1 year ago, and if the thermostat is higher than 71, IT'S WAAAAY too hot, also had the triple  pane glass installed throughout our home. 

Used to absolutely love the winter but not the ice, love the snow, though.  Definitely love the ((4)) seasons. Something to think about as we become older..yes, Hawaii sound good right now! 

Hopefully, and it does sound to me, everyone knows how to survive in their geography areas of arctic - chill bone - cold weather..just not for me- ever!

~~~~brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  Woman Happy and a warm husband. Heart~

Honored Contributor

@NAES1  we have a Sault St  Marie

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@NAES1  we have a Sault St  Marie

@Ah, hello my sweet friend from SWC ( @cherry )....I KNEW I must have spelled that incorrectly.

"I was remembering from a teen, from memory  ..as spelling; I heard~ phonetically. 

Thank you very much, cherry.. Stay warm..just as warm as your Heart 'IS'          love you dear lady. NAES

@cherry

Honored Contributor

I think the English prounouce Sault as salt, we say soo, It is the French influence on my state

If history would have gone a bit different we would be speaking French instead of English @NAES1

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I think the English prounouce Sault as salt, we say soo, It is the French influence on my state

If history would have gone a bit different we would be speaking French instead of English @NAES1

@cherry

My ancestors are from the borderline of France and England.

My father lived in France before I was ever thought of, so as a small child I grew up speaking French. USA/ after marriage.

My dad could 'NOT' spell in English or give our phone number in English.. "he would have to print it on paper then say it out loud whenever needed.

Carried that in his wallet for years".  "OH how i miss my daddy"...

Esteemed Contributor

I live in southern California - temperatures mid-60s during the day -- and colder at night. For the last several hours, I've been wearing a warm jacket - in my house - as I'm usually cold. Bought the jacket - brown plaid on one side - and solid tan on the other (reversible) - from QVC around 11 yrs. ago. One of my best purchases. Came with 2 long-sleeve t-shirts, which matched the jacket. Total price was $40.