Honored Contributor

I will NEVER open another Link on this Forum

I ended up with some strange line that appeared at the top of my screen.  It was not a virus but rather a nuisance that I could not remove.  I was able to chat online with Microsoft Word for no charge and they were able to remove it.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: I will NEVER open another Link on this Forum

@Katcat1 wrote:

I ended up with some strange line that appeared at the top of my screen.  It was not a virus but rather a nuisance that I could not remove.  I was able to chat online with Microsoft Word for no charge and they were able to remove it.  

It sounds like a harmless glitch, but your choice not to use links.

Personally, I look at the poster's name and at the link and then decide. I've never encountered any serious problems.

Also, my security protection usually warn about not opening a "malicious" link.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3  I am no longer taking any chances.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Katcat1 ,

How were you able to chat on-line with microsoft word?  Was it through the word help search?

Honored Contributor

I've read that someone that you trust can send a link that already and unknowingly has a virus infecting or attached to it.

If someone instead can say what the subject is you can just type that in the search line and get many results on different websites.

I try not to open any links no matter if they are from family or strangers or on a social forum.

My mother's friend always sends her links and articles and she has gotten a virus.

I have a friend who sends a lot of links and I got a lot of wonky stuff after opening one (which I won't anymore).

So, its not just here, it could be from anywhere and unfortunately anyone's links.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

@Katcat1 ,I also dont open links.Some are to sites with ads that will haunt you.I once opened a link on a Christian chat board and was bombarded daily from a religious group.It was really bad, sending stuff to my email 20 times a day.Yes better safe than sorry!

Honored Contributor

IDK. Maybe we have exceptional software or something, but I've never had any such problems. I can't imagine never opening links. For me, it would make online activity useless.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@oceantown wrote:

Hi, @Katcat1 ,

How were you able to chat on-line with microsoft word?  Was it through the word help search?

That’s the bigger issue.

How would they remove something without you giving

someone access to your computer?  

Almost sounds like a virus was already there...feels scammy.

Valued Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am trying to figure out how you were able to do a chat online with Microsoft Word, which is a software program.  

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom 

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

I have no idea how microsoft word could have an on-line chat, and then remove something that was on the computer. 

This just does not make sense to me.