Honored Contributor

I was "surprised" with the Kohl's NEW coupon restrictions...

I normally shop only when I need to get my GD clothes (and great free shipping) or great sale at Kohl's.

Last week I purchased a new vacumn and some clothing for GD.

I received $10 kohl's REWARDS, $15 Kohl's Cash.  I also received a Kohl's 30% off coupon for charge customers.

Today, I saw they had the Sonic toothbrush I'd been wanting for traveling & today it was $39.99 (doorbuster) vs. original price $99.  Of course, I headed to Kohl's to use my "free cash & discount".

I noticed the final total was off.  I told the cashier my 30% should have taken off $11.99 ($12) it only took of $6.  

She told me now the system is configured to take the coupon discount off the price after any other Kohl's cash/rewards.  I have not had this happen before -- although I don't shop Kohl's much.  Also, I noticed lots of "exemptions" now on what you can use these "rewards" for.

I'm sure Kohl's is changing -- esp in our store.  Looked a mess and not much of new selections & lots of clearance racks.  I was surprised at the amount of Christmas stuff still on shelves🤔.

Respected Contributor

Re: I was "surprised" with the Kohl's NEW coupon restrictions...

That's how it's always been done....I have shopped there for yrs and they always take off the cash/rewards used 1st then use the coupon on the amount left.

Esteemed Contributor

The Kohls store I shop at is a small store compared to other Kohls

out of the area. I always combine Kohls cash, any online rewards

together as well to get the lowest price. In my store they always

apply the money off discounts first then any additional percentages.

Maybe each store is different, not sure. I am still happy that they 

still accept all these offers together but yes it can be a bit tricky

to figure out. The register knows what it is doing is what I heard

one cashier say to a customer.

You got a very good price on the toothbrush. Love them @homedecor1.

Respected Contributor

I think they have been doing this with the percent discount for awhile now.  It does not bother me at all.  I love Kohl's.  My daughter and son in law are foster parents and they just got a newborn last week.  Kohl's has Carter's for 50% off and I have a 30% this time.  I got lots of very nice clothes for the baby for a great price.  

A couple of weeks ago I was there and got myself two pairs of Lauren Conrad jeans clearanced out for $5.00 each.  I had a 20% so they were a real bargain. 

Not many stores let us use an extra percent off offer on clearance merchandise.  Even if a brand is exempt from the percent off offer, you can still use and earn your Kohl's Cash on them.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@tsavorite is correct; that is how they always do it. Using the KK "lessens" the value of the percentage off.
Honored Contributor

I hate kohl's, just hate going there.  Their coupon systems are horrible. Who can figure it out.?  You have to spend your whole life arranging coupons, placing dates on calendar .  So many times I went there with coupon. Only to find in small print it was good from 9am-12. I came at 1.  Or it wasn't right day.  Or I didn't buy enough of the same product. The one that made me the most mad was I couldn't get big discount as I didn't have Kohl's credit card.  I dont want or need credit card, so I was  not eligible for the 30 % off.  I left.   I  Who has time, not me.  My daughter on other hand was always getting a deal, and found it fun.  However, a few weeks ago she had it out with one of their new rules.  She was fuming, as it took too much time out of her day

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

That's how it's always been done....I have shopped there for yrs and they always take off the cash/rewards used 1st then use the coupon on the amount left.

@tsavorite wrote:

@tsavorite 

Thank you I don't shop there often but when they have a kids or home sale and I have rewards, coupons I go!

When I bought my vacumn I had 30%, anniversary $10 ty,  Rewards & Kohl's cash -- I saved a lot & got full 30% off.

In fact, I heard if Kohl's cash is "expired" other stores do not take it yet our store let's it be redeemed up to 10 days after.

I'm not "complaining" because I think shopping Kohl's when they have sales has the best prices.  

Either way I got a great buy and I'll calculate the coupon at the end.  I normally have a idea what I'll be spending😊.

Thanks again! I guess each store has their own "rules".

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1- Each store should  have the same rules, so I'd consider it a bonus, if the manager at your store allows you to use expired Kohl's Cash.  They changed that rule many years ago, as people were abusing it.  The three stores in my area will no longer accept expired coupons.

And they've always deducted any Kohl's money-off coupons or Rewards before the discount is applied.  Think of it - it's free money and you don't get another discount on top of that.

They also changed the "no exceptions" rules for the percent discount coupons a long time ago.  I did talk to them at the time and they said certain manufacturers insisted that their items not be discounted, in addition to normal sales.  I think it was cited as unfair competition to other retailers.  Nike and Columbia are two noteable ones.

I've been a Kohl's shopper since the first day they opened a store in my area and have gotten some terrific deals.  I have friends from England who look forward to going there every time they visit.  Like any other retailer, know your prices and compare.

Respected Contributor

i have a hard time with the Khol's cash too only have a certain amount of time to use it. What happens if I have Khol's cash & a discount coupon plus it's senior day? Will I get all 3 discounts? Wish they would stop with all of this & just lower the prices. 

Trusted Contributor

@sissel 

Yes, you would get to use Kohl's Cash, % off coupon, and senior day discount.  I've never had difficulty figuring it out, and LOVE that I can get such great prices.  Our store is always in top notch shape.  As a former retail worker, a store's condition depends on the store manager.