Honored Contributor

Re: I was just wondering . . . .

I've paused some of my buying, yes.

But I completely disagree with your premise that Covid is not going away. It will go away as a continual deadly concern once enough of us are vaccinated. It will take time, but we will be able to get back to some parts of normal life again. At least, those of us who get vaccinated and live in areas that take Covid seriously will have that luxury.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@suzyQ3 Actually there are a lot of people who are absolutely terrified to go outside. And not just the frail elderly or those with health issues or compromised immune systems. It's so sad to see previously active seniors and younger adults alike who have been so terrified by the hysterical non-stop media coverage that they won't even set foot outside their homes. I see it in many of my Meals on Wheels clients. It's heartbreaking to see their general appearance and mental health decline because of their self-imposed isolation. The cure is worse than the disease.

They see constant videos of aggressive anti maskers getting in peoples faces in stores. They don't want to go places where they will feel helpless to defend themselves from that. Can't blame them one bit.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Frequent Contributor

You hit the nail on the head!  My husband and I both have health issues.  We have children and grandchildren.  Why would we risk getting ill just to act like things are normal?

Honored Contributor

This is just my own personal opinion and I have nothing medical to back this up so please don't anyone come along and ask for my source.

I don't believe Covid is ever going to go away.  I think that like the flu, it will always be here and we are going to have to deal with it.  For those who choose to, you will have to vaccinate on a regular basis.  You aren't going to get 2 shots and be done for life.  

Respected Contributor

I'm certainly not going to be able to say anything here that will convince people to change their habits.  If makeup makes one feel better or enhancing one' wardrobe lifts spirits, it's not going to harm me.

What keeps me awake nights is the fear that contracting the virus brings me to my knees and my lungs fail to function.  More important to me the fact that I may spread it to my loved ones and I don't want to lose them before their time.   Infected, hospitalized relatives and friends who must suffer alone, except for medical staff far outweighs how great I might feel with a new tube of lipstick or a new sweater.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

I pondered this question carefully. My shopping habits have not changed much since pre-pandemic levels. It has been a coping mechanism for me at times; when I wanted to "escape" from all the adversity we are facing as a nation.😊

I find it helpful to maintain our lifestyles as much as possible, because as another poster pointed out; this is not going to last forever. We WILL return to some sense of normalcy, but remnants of our "new normal" will forever be with us.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@Jdpic wrote:

Such a nice person you are ! ! ! ! ! ! !

@suzyQ3 wrote:

With probably some necessary exceptions, none of us are "hiding," a word that has a negative meaning in this context. I personally am not obsessing about dying and don't anyone who is.

And FYI to to the poster who calls everybody "gurl," if you can walk, you can exercise. My pup and I do a fairly fast 3 miles a day in our neighborhood. I've always preferred that to a gym, but to each his own.

We can walk for a couple more months here in Arizona but come May through October forget about it. Way to hot. Lows in the 90's and highs near 115-120 no one is going to be walking outside unless it's to a building with ac. So back to the gym it is. 

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Jdpic wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

With probably some necessary exceptions, none of us are "hiding," a word that has a negative meaning in this context. I personally am not obsessing about dying and don't anyone who is.

And FYI to to the poster who calls everybody "gurl," if you can walk, you can exercise. My pup and I do a fairly fast 3 miles a day in our neighborhood. I've always preferred that to a gym, but to each his own.

We can walk for a couple more months here in Arizona but come May through October forget about it. Way to hot. Lows in the 90's and highs near 115-120 no one is going to be walking outside unless it's to a building with ac. So back to the gym it is. 

@Meowingkitty, I forget that that many here might live in such summer heat. Still, if I did, I would probably invest in a good product for at home. I used to use an eliptical and liked it. I bet most here who live in in any extreme temps probably have A/C or a good fan. It could also be used in those places that have an actual winter, something that I am not at all familiar with. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

GURL... YAS...  Good for you.  Do it.  The best way to stay fit.  YAS, FAB...

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Jdpic wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Respected Contributor

I feel like there are three groups now.  The ones who stay home and are scared of the virus and only do what they have to outside their home (that would be me and my husband).  The ones who are as careful as possible but still have to work and get out around the public.  Those who just ignore the whole thing.  I see in my community people who have family and friends coming and going with no masks on.  I think I am careful because I don't want to be in a hospital now.  Everytime a family member was in the hosptial in the past I felt that they were short handed and over worked.  Now it would be really hard. Also the long term effects if you make it through.