Esteemed Contributor

Re: I was just wondering . . . .

I hadn't bought much in the way of clothing this year. I have ordrered a few things from QVC, and I have only worn them a few times. I wore one just around the house and the other I wore to pick things up.

I'm not going anywhere either. I guess I ordered these things trying to be normal, or hoping for a day when normal returns. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Good for you. I'm 73. Both of my parents died when they were in their 70s so there's a pretty good chance I will too. I'm pretty healthy now, but so were they until one day they weren't. Nobody knows how much time we have left on this side of the grass, no matter their age and I for one do not intend to waste what years I have left hiding in my house. We were given life to live it, not to obsess about dying. I'm not saying that we should throw all caution to the winds, but do as you and I have been doing and try to live as normal a life as possible.

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47   

Spoiler

Good for you!!

My husband is very healthy and said at the onset of COVID he is not living his final years  afraid of COID...it should go with out saying but obviously those with health issue live their life differently.

I find it interesting that in our area I see a lot of older people that do not look like the picture of healthy, going out and about, eating out, shopping, etc...it's human nature to want to be out and about.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs 

Good for you. I'm 73. Both of my parents died when they were in their 70s so there's a pretty good chance I will too. I'm pretty healthy now, but so were they until one day they weren't. Nobody knows how much time we have left on this side of the grass, no matter their age and I for one do not intend to waste what years I have left hiding in my house. We were given life to live it, not to obsess about dying. I'm not saying that we should throw all caution to the winds, but do as you and I have been doing and try to live as normal a life as possible.

@Buffalogal47, we are all going to die. Period. I don't plan on it being from a virus that I can do much to avoid.

With probably some necessary exceptions, none of us are "hiding," a word that has a negative meaning in this context. I personally am not obsessing about dying and don't know anyone who is.

And FYI to to the poster who calls everybody "gurl," if you can walk, you can exercise. My pup and I do a fairly fast 3 miles a day in our neighborhood. I've always preferred that to a gym, but to each his own.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 Actually there are a lot of people who are absolutely terrified to go outside. And not just the frail elderly or those with health issues or compromised immune systems. It's so sad to see previously active seniors and younger adults alike who have been so terrified by the hysterical non-stop media coverage that they won't even set foot outside their homes. I see it in many of my Meals on Wheels clients. It's heartbreaking to see their general appearance and mental health decline because of their self-imposed isolation. The cure is worse than the disease.

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@suzyQ3 Actually there are a lot of people who are absolutely terrified to go outside. And not just the frail elderly or those with health issues or compromised immune systems. It's so sad to see previously active seniors and younger adults alike who have been so terrified by the hysterical non-stop media coverage that they won't even set foot outside their homes. I see it in many of my Meals on Wheels clients. It's heartbreaking to see their general appearance and mental health decline because of their self-imposed isolation. The cure is worse than the disease.

I don't find the news hysterical at all. And I really can't comment on someone's terror without knowing more about their individual situation. All I can comment on is some of the posts here that I find dismissive to people like my family. @Buffalogal47 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I believe for many that wearing makeup is a habit that doesn't stop when one is home.  It's a personal choice.

I wear almost no makeup anyway so for me it is a non-issue.

Wearing makeup and/or buying something new to wear lifts spirits and during this time it can help people feel a bit better, especially if they do not get out often anymore.

Whatever one does regarding makeup and/or buying new clothes while being at home or going out to eat or work-it's all good.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Amen!  I had to stop watching the news.  It would give me panic attacks!  SInce I stopped watching I'm happier and more at ease.  I don't have my head in the sand either.  My husband watches and gives me daily updates.  

Honored Contributor

@Blackcatmom - I love my makeup! Like others we're being very careful. But I'm in front of people at least once a week- outside! I wear heavy makeup so everyone can see me from a distance. I'm taped once a week. It's just the media guy and me. I wear full makeup and I dress up. Then there are lots of Zoom meetings. I wear full makeup for those too, and that's when I tend to experiment! I dress from the waist up, paying attention to my tops, but I usually wear comfortable black pants!

There could be people buying who have a situation similar to mine!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Blackcatmom 

Without reading all of the posts, many ladies aren't wearing makeup except for eye makeup.  Some got "mask rash" from the makeup being rubbed in by the mask.

Many of us have thrown away our open makeup, if you'll think of the date you opened it, by the time the virus started, you using it had introduced bacteria.  If foundation and powder items are from that time, I would get rid of them.  A damaged complection is way more expensive than a new bottle of foundation.

A lot of ladies haven't gotten to wear their clothes and have dropped back in purchases except for loungewear for home.

A lot are using this time to "cull" their closets and consign/donate.